Recently, we received a comment from someone on the web who pointed out that the GPS coordinates used by the website are inadequate for reporting missing persons to the NPS or contain appropriate phone numbers for the NPS. We are pleased that this person took the time to post to us, and applaud him for his insight and dedication.
We are pleased that this person took the time to post to us, and applaud him for his insight and dedication.Destination4x4.com
Destination4x4 apprecaites and seeks out all the input we can in order to make this website the best we can, and that measure is how often people seek us out and use it. To his point, we will be updating the site at some point to better address these issues. Remember, this site is undergoing frequent and constant updates.
So, to address the feedback received let us make the following statement. Destination4x4 is a website, and as such implements tools designed for websites. Destination4x4.com implements Google Earth and Maps becuase they developed the best tools to implement mapping software online. Destination4x4 allows our users to import Google Earth kml and soon kmz files to map trails. Google data files store gps data in the WGS84 standard.
In time, Destination4x4 will support other GPS map datum, but this in impractical in the sort term.
Addtionally, we wish to point out a few perhaps not so obvious safety considerations:
- Always let someone know the location of your trip and itenery. Let them know where you are and when you will return. This person may contact the rescue teams should you fail to return and the locations can dramatically lower the time it takes to find you.
- Whenever possible, invite a friend. Often a trip is more fun with a second 4×4 and you will share memories for the rest of your lives.
- Dont rely on your smart phone. Backcountry explorations frequently go beyond the coverage of your cell phone. Bring an extra GPS or even better a map.
- Bring extra food and water.
- Bring a CB or Ham radio.
- Know your limits and the limits of your 4×4. We all know someone that tried a trail that they and/or their 4×4 was not ready to run.
The purpose of Destination 4×4 is to help you find interesting and wonderfull places to visit in your 4×4. It is your responsibilty to travel safely and to know what you are getting into. Take care of yourselves. Have fun, safe travels.