Callville Nevada is a ghost town and Colorado River Steamboat port, which is now submerged below the waters of Lake Mead. Bishop Anson Call founded and established a colony and warehouse on the Colorado River at the direction of the Mormon Leader Brigham Young. The settlement was located about 15 miles up river from the location of the future site of Hoover Damn.Continue Reading →
Potosi Nevada is the oldest lode mine in Nevada and the town site is located just off highway 160 between Las Vegas and Pahrump, Nevada. The site was started in 1856 by some Mormon prospectors who were lead to the location with the help of a Piute guide. The Mormons found the site in April 1856 and a month latter it was named Potosi after the boyhood home of Nathaniel Jones. They did not begin mining until August after a return trip to Utah for supplies.
By September, the first wagon of ore sent back to Utah for trading and three months later three wagons returned with supplies including bellows, furnace, and hearths among other things. On Christmas day 1856, an crude adobe furnace was used to smelt ore.
In the spring of 1861, a larger smelter was setup by the Colorado Mining Company at the Potosi Spring. News of new silver mine spread all over the west in no time. The town of Potosi was setup 700 feet below of the Potosi Mine or the Las Vegas Silver Mines as they were called and was soon home to 100 miners.
The site continued to slowly grow and develop until 1906. In 1913 the Empire Zinc Company purchased the rights and was soon Potosi was Nevada’s largest producer of Zinc. After nearly 100 years of production Potosi produced about 4.5 million in lead, silver and zinc.
|Location||Clark County, Nevada|
|Latitude, Longitude||35.9708047, -115.5408395|
The Anniversary Mine and Narrows trail is truly a fun place to go and the location has a little bit of everything. This is a very short side trail found off the northern shore of Lake Mead and suitable for almost any vehicle.
Located in the Muddy Mountain Wilderness of the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, the Anniversary Mine was founded in 1921. The colomanite mine operated at seven years until 1928 and produced an estimation 200,000 tons of ore. The mine is located a short ways off North Shore Road (167). There exist some foundations, and tunnels along with some minor infrastructure of the operation.
Should you drive down into the wash you have the opportunity to continue on to the left, or you can turn right and drive towards the mine narrows located at the end of the canyon. The only obstacle is right at the beginning and and easy to get past with some clearance. Once past the trail is just a wash, but do yourself a favor. Park the 4×4 and take the time to walk it. Just past the beginning obstacle, there are some tunnels about 20 feet up on the side of the canyon wall, which are fun hike up to and explore.
There are things to explore all along the route to the narrows and it is a great excuse the get out of the truck. The slot canyon is about 1/4 of a mile in length and a bit tight in the few places. This is a nice place to hike on a hot day.
Anniversary Mine 4×4 Trail and Destination
Goodsprings, Nevada is locate about seven miles west of the I-15 near Jean, Nevada. Mining activity in the area started in 1868 when a group of prospectors formed the New England district and since renamed the Yellow Pine. Early efforts where soon abandoned due to the lack of silver in the ore. The prospectors soon moved on, and Joe Good remained and the local springs were named for him. In 1886, several prospectors from Utah came into the area and founded a permanent site which still exists today.
In 1892, the Keystone gold mine was discovered and established during an increase in activity due to the completion of the Nevada Southern Railways from Goffs, CA to Manvel. The Keystone mine remained active until 1906 and produced some $600,000 in gold before closing.
1901 saw the consolidation of several mines into the Yellow Pine Mining Co. Only the highest grade ore made it cost effective to deliver to the railroad in Manvel, some 45 miles away from the site. In 1905, the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake railroad was completed to Jean, Nevada which shortened the distance to deliver down to 7 miles. Mining activity continued to flourish with improved mining technique, higher mineral costs and lowered delivery costs all of which lean to a peak in production between 1915 and 1918. During this time the site boasted 800 souls, several stores, a post office, hotel, hospital and a weekly paper. As with many towns, mining production and profitability waned and the population fell.
- Alice Mine
- Argentina Mine
- Belle Mine
- Columbia Mine
- Cosmopolitan Mine
- Fredrickson Mine
- Green Copper Mine
- Hermosa Mine
- Hoosier Mine
- Iron gold Mine
- Lookout Mine
- Keystone Mine
- Lavina Mine
- Middlesex Mine
- Surprise Mine
- Table Top Mine
- Yellow Pine
Goodsprings Nevada Trailmap