Hiko Nevada starts to see initial activity in 1853. Silver mines in the area are largely responsible for the people settling the area.
The town is founded by A William Raymond when he purchased several of the twenty six mines in the area of Pahranagat Valley. Raymond built the first mill, and laid out a townsite and named it “Hiko”. The name Hiko an Indian phrase which means “white man’s town.”
By the end of 1866, the area around it had attracted a few hundred residents. Hiko was the county seat of Lincoln County from 1867 to 1871 and is home a few hundred residents living in nearby ranches. By 1871 the mining activity west of Hiko started to falter. After the mining activity subsided, a time lawlessness came to the throughout the valley. At this time, the valley is known for its cattle rustlers, horse thieves and gun-fights.
In 1871 Hiko was replaced as the county seat of Lincoln County by Pioche which continues to serve this function..
As early as 1865, a camp was established here, and during the spring of 1866, W. H. Raymond and others laid out the townsite. The name Hiko is apparently based on a Shoshone term for “white man” or ‘white man’s town. Raymond purchased a five-stamp mill and had it shipped via the Colorado River to Callville and then hauled by oxen the 140 miles to this site. In November 1866, milling began on Pahranagat ores and soon after, Hiko became the first county seat of Lincoln County. In March 1867, Raymond spent nearly $900,000 developing the region before the enterprise failed. The mill was moved to Bullionville in 1870. Hiko consequently declined in population and importance, which accelerated following the removal of the county government to Pioche in February 1871.STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 206, STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE, NEVADA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
|Location||Lincoln County, Nevada|
|Latitude, Longitude||37.5969036, -115.2241887|
|Elevation||3,869 feet (,179m)|
|Nevada Historical Marker||206|