Logan City Nevada, also known as Logan City, Logan Springs and Logans Springs, is a silver mining camp and ghost town located 12 miles north of Crystal Springs in Lincoln County, Nevada. The townsite was situated in Pahranagat District and can be easily identified by a cliffside of volcanic ash.
In 1865 rumors of a mountain of silver near the Colorado River prompted prospectors to venture out seeking their fortune. When this endeavor proved fruitless, the prospectors start the journey north towards Austin. On the return trip north and Indian quidded the part up the eastern slope of Mount Irish were a ledge of silver ore is discovered.
Buoyed by the discovery, the prospectors returned to Panaca to reprovision the expedition in Marth 1865. After returning, in June prospecting and exploration of the area was in full swing. This exploit is short lived, when the prospectors are chased from the land by the Native Americans in the area.
The fall of the same year, a permanent camp is founded in a pass south of of the mining claims. Soon over 100 miners arrived in the little hamlet, including William Raymond of Pioche. Building are constructed from the materials available, which is mainly stone. Water is provided by a small spring located nearby known as Logan Springs. The Pahranagat mining district soon had over 1000 claims to its name.
The population swelled to over 300 people in 1866 and by 1867 a post office is build. The ore was shipped east to a newly built mill located in Hiko, or two miles west to the mill in Crescent.
Interest in the mining district dried up in the following year of 1867 when it was discovered the ore veins lacked the depth for long term operations. The mining district of Pahranagat decline and closed by 1869. The miners of the little Logan City moved on to greener pastures, known as Pioche.
|Location||Lincoln County, Nevada|
|Latitude, Longitude||37.609722, -115.392778|
|Post Office||July 1867 – August 1871|