Located at 4947 feet above sea level, Marietta was formally established in 1877 near Teel’s Marsh and is now a ghost town in Mineral County, Nevada. F.M. “Borax” Smith a silver and gold prospector, found his place in the world, when he established a borax works in Teel’s Marsh in 1872.
Soon after the town was founded, the populations swelled to several hundred people, however exact figures are unknown due to inaccurate record keeping among the Chinese populations who worked in the borax plant. The town soon boasted 13 saloons, a post office and several stores.
The town had a rowdy image and due to its remote location made it an easy target for robbers, and for criminals to run free. At one point in the 1880 the stage was reported robbed 30 times.
In the 1880’s due to increased demand for borax, Borax Smith relocate is Marietta location down south to larger deposits found in Death Valley. This moved singled the end of Marietta due to the loss of its biggest industry and by the early 1900s the town was virtually dead. The was a period resurgence when other mining concerns prospected the area.
Marietta is currently located on BLM land.