Rhyolite Nevada – Nye County Ghost Town

Rhyolite is a ghost town location just outside of the Eastern edge of Death Valley National monument in Nye country, Nevada.  Founded in 1904 by Frank “Shorty” Harris when he discovered quartz with load of “Free Gold”, Rhyolite started as a gold mining camp in the surrounding Bullfrog mining district. As with many discovery’s during this time period, news quickly circulated and the Bullfrog mining district was formed.

Rhyolite, Nevada photo by James L Rathbun
Rhyolite, Nevada photo by James L Rathbun
Cook Bank Building, Rhyolite Nevada, Photo marked 1908 and "Courtesy of the Nevada Historical Society"
Cook Bank Building, Rhyolite Nevada, Photo marked 1908 and “Courtesy of the Nevada Historical Society”

Assays of $3000 per ton were reported by the mining press of the day, and the fall and winter saw many people converge on the area despite the weather conditions. Tonopah and Goldfield saw hundreds head south in the spring of 1905, and the migration caused “a string of dust a hundred miles long”.

It is an encouraging sign that the Ryolite Jail still stands. Also noteworthy, a brothel crib still stands as well.
It is an encouraging sign that the Ryolite Jail still stands. Also noteworthy, a brothel crib still stands as well.

The townsite of Rhyolite was found in a draw close to the most important mines in February, 1905. To start, the town was a mining camp with tents and canvas walled building. Fuel shortages caused the populous to burn sage brush and greasewood as fuel for their stoves to cook and keep warm. Food and fuel were teamed into the area on daily stages and water was bought over from Beatty for $5 per barrel.

A train caboose as found in Rhyolite, Nevada - Photo by James L Rathbun
A train caboose as found in Rhyolite, Nevada – Photo by James L Rathbun

However, as was common with gold rush towns, Rhyolite quickly developed all of the modern amenities of day, including newspapers, schools, hospitals and electrical power. Six thousand people called the town home in 1907. Luxuries unimaginable just two years before include, hotel rooms with private baths, and opera house, dozens of saloons, four banks, and a butcher shop were brought to the town by three different trains.

The mines of Rhyolite, Nevada operated from 1905 - 1911
The mines of Rhyolite, Nevada operated from 1905 – 1911

Decline and Abandonment

Rhyolite’s prosperity was short-lived. Several factors converged to precipitate its decline. The high-grade ore began to dwindle by 1908, and an independent study commissioned by investors in the Montgomery Shoshone Mine deemed it overvalued, causing stock values to plummet. The 1906 San Francisco earthquake diverted capital to California and disrupted rail service, while the financial panic of 1907 tightened funding for mine development. By 1909, the mine was operating at a loss, closing permanently in March 1911.

As mining activity waned, unemployed miners left for opportunities elsewhere. Businesses failed, and the population dropped to 675 by the 1910 census. All three banks closed that year, followed by the last newspaper in 1912, the post office in 1913, and the final train departure in 1914. In 1916, the Nevada-California Power Company cut electricity and removed its lines, leaving Rhyolite nearly abandoned. By 1920, only 14 residents remained, and the town was fully deserted by 1924 after its last resident’s death. Many buildings were dismantled for materials, relocated to nearby Beatty, or left to crumble in the desert.The San Francisco earthquake of 1906 and a financial panic of 1907 dried up capital investment which doomed the town along with many others in the region. Rhyolite ceased to be and closed in 1911.  

“The Last Supper” and other art pieces hold court just outside of Rhyolite

Current Status

Today, Rhyolite is a well-preserved ghost town managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) as the Rhyolite Historic Area. Its ruins, including the Cook Bank Building, train depot, and Tom Kelly’s Bottle House, attract visitors and photographers, earning it a reputation as one of the West’s most photographed ghost towns. The bottle house, restored by Paramount Pictures in 1925 for the film The Air Mail and later by locals, remains a standout feature. The nearby Goldwell Open Air Museum, established in 1984 by Belgian artist Albert Szukalski, adds an artistic dimension with sculptures like “The Last Supper,” a haunting plaster rendition of Leonardo da Vinci’s masterpiece.

Rhyolite has also appeared in films and literature, including a mention in Ian Fleming’s James Bond novel Diamonds Are Forever. While vandalism and graffiti have marred some structures, efforts to preserve its historical integrity continue. The site is accessible via a paved road off State Route 374, about 4 miles west of Beatty, offering free public access year-round.

Rhyolite is a wonderful place to visit when you are running Titus Canyon and Leadfield trail.

Geological Context

Rhyolite sits within the Bullfrog Hills, part of the southwestern Nevada volcanic field. The area’s geology features rhyolitic lava flows, formed 13.3 to 7.6 million years ago, overlying Paleozoic sedimentary rocks. These flows, fractured into fault blocks by tectonic activity, host the mineralized veins that spurred the gold rush. The town’s name reflects this geological heritage, derived from the light-colored, felsic volcanic rock dominant in the region.

Rhyolite Town Summary

NameRhyolite
LocationNye County
NewspaperRhyolite Herald May 25, 1905-Apr 26, 1907; Oct 11, 1907-June 22, 1912; Mar 1909 Special Ed
Rhyolite Daily Bulletin Sept 23, 1907 – May 31, 1909
Death Valley Prospector Nov – Dec 1907

Rhyolite Map

Rhyolite Points of Interest

Bullfrog Goldfield Railroad in Rhyolite

Bullfrog Goldfield Railroad

The Bullfrog and Goldfield Railroad, often referred to as the B&G Railroad, played a significant role in the late 19th and early 20th-century mining boom…
Rhyolite, Nevada photo by James L Rathbun

Cook Bank Building

The Cook Bank Building is the most iconic image and popular images of the Rhyolite ghost town, in Nye County, Nevada. When John S. Cook…
Rhyolite Train Depot is located at the north end of town in Rhyolite, Nye County, Nevada. - Photo by James L Rathbun

Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad

The Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad was a standard gauge railroad which operated along 197 miles between the town of Las Vegas and Goldfield, NV.…
Overbury Building, Rhylote, Nevada. - Photograph by James L Rathbun

Overbury Building

The Overbury building is a general office building built by John Overbury, in Rhyolite, Nye County Nevada in 1906. The building was one of two…
Porter Brothers store front in Phyolite, Nevada - Photo by James L Rathbun

Porter Brothers Store

The Porter Brothers store is a ruined storefront on the main street in the ghost town of Rhyolite, Nye County, Nevada. The Porter Brothers were…
Rhyolite Train Depot is located at the north end of town in Rhyolite, Nye County, Nevada. - Photo by James L Rathbun

Rhyolite Train Depot

The town of Rhyolite boasted three train services using the Rhyolite Train Depot which is completed in June, 1908. The depot services the Las Vegas…

Rhyolite Newspapers

The Bullfrog Miner newspapers published in 1907

Bullfrog Miner

The Bullfrog Miner newspapers published in 1907 The Bullfrog Miner was a weekly newspaper that served the burgeoning mining communities of the Bullfrog Mining District…

Death Valley Prospector

The Death Valley Prospector was a short-lived newspaper published in Rhyolite, Nevada, during the height of the Bullfrog Mining District’s gold rush in the early…

Rhyolite Daily Bulletin

The Rhyolite Daily Bulletin was a newspaper published in Rhyolite, Nevada, during the peak of the Bullfrog Mining District’s gold rush in the early 20th…

The Rhyolite Herald Newspaper

The Rhyolite Herald newspaper was a weekly publication that served as a vital chronicle of life in Rhyolite, Nevada, a booming gold rush town in…

Rhyolite Personalities

Frank "Shorty" Harris

Frank “Shorty” Harris

Frank Harris was a prospector, desert rat and perhaps the best known character in western mining history. He looked the part, often travelling the desert…
James Crysanthus Phelan

James Crysanthus Phelan – Rhyolite Shopkeeper

James Crysanthus Phelan James Crysanthus Phelan was a business man and early pioneer of the desert southwest, who like many others followed the boom towns…
John S Cook overseeing bars of gold bullion. Photo Goldfield Historical Society

John S Cook

John S Cook overseeing bars of gold bullion. Photo Goldfield Historical Society John S Cook is the founder and builder of the Cook Bank Building…
Walter Scott (1872 - 1954)

Walter Edward Perry Scott – “Death Valley Scotty”

Walter Edward Perry Scott  (September 20, 1872 – January 5, 1954), also known as "Death Valley Scotty", was a miner, prospector and conman who operated…

Further Reading

Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps - By Stanley W. Paher

Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps

Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps - By Stanley W. Paher Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps is a wonderful book written by Stanley W.…

Resources

Manzanar California

Manzanar Enterance and sign. Photograph by Ansel Adam
Manzanar Enterance and sign. IMAGE: ANSEL ADAMS/LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
Rebuilt Guardtower located an Manzanar Relocation Camp.  Photo by James L Rathbun
Rebuilt Guardtower located an Manzanar Relocation Camp. Photo by James L Rathbun

Manzanar, located in California’s Owens Valley, was one of ten internment camps established by the United States government during World War II to detain Japanese Americans and Japanese immigrants. Operational from 1942 to 1945, it became a symbol of a dark chapter in American history, reflecting the impact of wartime hysteria, racial prejudice, and civil rights violations. This report examines the historical context, establishment, life within the camp, its closure, and its legacy.

Historical Context

Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, fear and suspicion of Japanese Americans grew on the West Coast. Despite no evidence of disloyalty, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066 on February 19, 1942, authorizing the forced removal of approximately 120,000 Japanese Americans—two-thirds of whom were U.S. citizens—from their homes. The War Relocation Authority (WRA) was created to oversee the relocation and internment process. Manzanar was one of the first camps established under this policy.

Establishment of Manzanar

Manzanar, located 220 miles northeast of Los Angeles near the Sierra Nevada, was selected for its remote location and existing infrastructure from a former agricultural community. The site spanned 6,200 acres, with the internment camp occupying 540 acres. Construction began in March 1942, and the camp opened on March 21, 1942, initially as a temporary “reception center.” By June, it was designated a War Relocation Center.

The camp consisted of 36 residential blocks, each with 14 barracks, a mess hall, and communal facilities. Barbed wire and eight guard towers surrounded the camp, emphasizing its prison-like nature. At its peak, the relocation camp housed over 10,000 internees, primarily from Los Angeles, San Francisco, and the Pacific Northwest.

Life in Manzanar

Life in the camp was marked by hardship, resilience, and community-building under oppressive conditions.

Living Conditions

  • Housing: Internees lived in cramped, poorly insulated barracks divided into 20×25-foot units. Families shared these spaces with minimal privacy, using blankets or makeshift partitions. Harsh weather—scorching summers and freezing winters—exacerbated discomfort.
  • Food and Work: Meals were served in mess halls, often consisting of low-quality food like mutton or rice. Internees worked in roles such as farming, teaching, or medical care, earning $12-$19 monthly. Some cultivated crops like guayule for rubber production.
  • Education and Recreation: Schools were established for children, though resources were limited. Internees organized sports, cultural events, and newspapers like the Manzanar Free Press to maintain morale.

Photographer: Lange, Dorothea -- Manzanar, California. 7/2/42 Identifier: Volume 22 Identifier: Section C Identifier: WRA no. C-837 Collection: War Relocation Authority Photographs of Japanese-American Evacuation and Resettlement Series 8: Manzanar Relocation Center (Manzanar, CA) Contributing Institution: The Bancroft Library. University of California, Berkeley.
Photographer: Lange, Dorothea — Manzanar, California. 7/2/42 Identifier: Volume 22 Identifier: Section C Identifier: WRA no. C-837 Collection: War Relocation Authority Photographs of Japanese-American Evacuation and Resettlement Series 8: Manzanar Relocation Center (Manzanar, CA) Contributing Institution: The Bancroft Library. University of California, Berkeley.

Challenges and Resistance

Internees faced loss of freedom, dignity, and property. Many had been forced to sell businesses and homes at a fraction of their value. Tensions occasionally flared, notably during the Manzanar Riot (December 6, 1942), sparked by the arrest of a popular internee leader. The clash resulted in two deaths and several injuries when military police fired on protesters.

Despite these challenges, internees demonstrated resilience. They created gardens, art, and community organizations, preserving cultural identity and hope.

Closure and Aftermath

As World War II ended, the camp is closed on November 21, 1945. Internees were given $25 and a one-way ticket to return to often-hostile communities. Many faced economic hardship and discrimination, having lost their pre-war livelihoods. The camp’s infrastructure was dismantled, leaving little physical evidence of its existence.

Photo by Ansel Adams

Legacy

Manzanar stands as a stark reminder of the consequences of fear-driven policy and racial prejudice. In 1988, the U.S. government formally apologized through the Civil Liberties Act, providing $20,000 in reparations to surviving internees. The site was designated a National Historic Site in 1992, managed by the National Park Service. Today, it features a visitor center, reconstructed barracks, and exhibits preserving the stories of those interned.

The camp’s history has inspired art, literature, and activism. Works like Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston and the photography of Ansel Adams and Dorothea Lange document the internees’ experiences. Manzanar serves as a call to uphold civil liberties and combat discrimination.

Conclusion

Manzanar encapsulates a complex interplay of injustice and human resilience. Its history underscores the importance of safeguarding constitutional rights during times of crisis. By studying the effects of the relocation, we honor the strength of those who endured it and commit to preventing such violations in the future.

Summary

NameManzanar
LocationInyo County, California
Latitude, Longitude36.7283, -118.1544
Elevation3,850 ft
GNIS1659050
Population10,000+
Newspaper Manzanar Free Press (1942 – 1945)
National Register of Historic Places76000484
Manzanar Cemetery Monument.  Photo By James L Rathbun
Manzanar Cemetery Monument. Photo By James L Rathbun

Other Japanese Internment Camps:

  • Gila River War Relocation Center, Arizona
  • Granada War Relocation Center, Colorado (AKA “Amache”)
  • Heart Mountain War Relocation Center, Wyoming
  • Jerome War Relocation Center, Arkansas
  • Manzanar War Relocation Center, California
  • Minidoka War Relocation Center, Idaho
  • Poston War Relocation Center, Arizona
  • Rohwer War Relocation Center, Arkansas
  • Topaz War Relocation Center, Utah
  • Tule Lake War Relocation Center, California

Manzanar Map

Photos around Manzanar War Relocation Center

Further Reading

Farewell to Manzanar, by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston

Farewell to Manzanar

Farewell to Manzanar, by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston In Farewell to Manzanar, Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston recalls her childhood at a Japanese incarceration camp in this engrossing…
Manzanar (Images of America) by Jane Wehrey

Manzanar (Images of America)

Manzanar (Images of America) by Jane Wehrey Through a collection of vintage photographs, the Images of America series allows readers to explore the history that…

References

Galena Nevada – Lander County Ghost Town

Galena Nevada was a silver mining from 1869 to 1907 and currently a ghost town located just just a west of highway 305 south of Battle Mountain, in Lander County, Nevada. The discovery of Silver at the head of Galena Canyon first lead miners in the area in 1863. Following the silver discovery three years later, in 1866, a mining camp forms to prospect the land.

Galena Nevada in the 1960's - Paher
Galena Nevada in the 1960’s – Paher

In 1869, the townsite of Galena is plotted and originally located in Humboldt County. Daily stage service from nearby Battle Mountain delivered peoples and supplies to the small town. The town grew in size and citizens by the month. The town boasts a park plaza, water system, public hall, schools, and a post office is started in 1732.

Within the boundary of Humboldt County, the towns fortunes could have been secured, however it lost the battle for county seat to Winnemucca. A court house is planned within the town to seat this honor.

After 1875, the town of several hundred people began to succumb to reality as production slowed. In 1874, plans for the court house are abandoned when the Galena Range is ceded to Lander County. By 1886, the French Mining Company took over the mines and later halted development. After the post office closed, there was mining activity in Galena starting around World War I and sporadically into the 1960’s

Town Summary

NameGalena Nevada
LocationLander County, Nevada
Latitude, Longitude40.564, -117.13
GNIS854456
Elevation1877 meters / 6158 feet
PopulationSeveral Hundred
Post OfficeJune 2, 1871 – March 1873 [Humboldt Co.]
March 1873 – May 27, 1887 [Lander Co.]
As “Blanco” – October 11, 1888 – November 15, 1907

Galena Trail Map

References

Ophir Canyon Nevada – Nye County Ghost Town

Ophir Canyon is a ghost town from the 1880s and located about 3.5 miles west of State Route 8A north of State Route 92, in Nye County, Nevada. The town began life as Toiyabe City when silver is discovered by a French prospector Boulrand in 1863. Boulrand managed to keeps his find quiet for a year, secreting provisions into the site by night. His secret is finally exposed when he confided his good fortune to countryman on a trip to Austin.

Ophir Canyon in the mid 1880's
Ophir Canyon in the mid 1880’s

In 1864, R. B. Canfield purchased the principal ledge, also known as the Murphy ledge. Canfield utilized the Twin River Mining Company to secure financing. A wagon road is constructed, in 1865, to the site from the Big Smokey Valley for a cost of $8,000 for the two and a half mile road. The steep route suffered from grades of 10 degrees and nine creek crossings are made with wooden bridges.

A Growing Town

The newly founded Toiyabe City has a population of 400 citizens and a tri-weekly stage from Austin brought in people and supplies for the mines. In 1886, a twenty stamp mill is constructed at great costs, from the natural granite and shale sourced in the area. The mill produced over $750,000 in silver in the next two years. Despite this seemingly high rate of production, the mines did not produce a profit, due to the unusually dense rock which slowed operations considerably.

During its heyday, Ophir Canyon boasted saloons, stores and hotels. A post office operated at the site from June 18, 1867 to December 5, 1893.

Ophir NSHM #62 Text

Well up into the canyon out yonder, one can still see the massive stone foundations of a costly and splendid stamp mill, as well as the stone walls of an elegant office and mansion. Here was the scene of a once busy place, now a ghost town.

Ore was discovered there in 1865 by S. Boulerond and his compatriots. In 1864, the Murphy mine was discovered and became the leading producer; a mining district was organized. During 1865, a 20-stamp mill was completed costing over $200,000. Connected with it was the first experimental Stetefeldt furnace ever built. When the Murphy mill was built, a town was started and it grew to a population of 400, but work in the mines declined in the 1870’s, and Ophir became almost deserted. In the 1880’s, the mines were reactivated, and Ophir had another period of prosperity. By the 1890’s the town was deserted, but some mining activity at the Murphy mine continued sporadically into the 20th century.

Over $2 million worth of gold and silver were mined from the Murphy vein and from surrounding properties. Iron, copper and arsenic were also found in the area.

Ophir managed to have all the accouterments of a large community–school, church, various lodges and, of course, several saloons.

Nevada Historic Marker
The Murphy Mine and Shaft House in Ophir Canyon, Nevada
The Murphy Mine and Shaft House in Ophir Canyon, Nevada

Town Summary

NameOphir Nevada
Also Known AsTwin River, Toiyabe City
LocationNye County, Nevada
Latitude, Longitude38.944444, -117.276667
Elevation2,479 meters / 8,134 feet
GNIS860839
Population400
Post Office June 18, 1867 – December 5, 1893

Town Map

Resources

Mineral Park Arizona – Mohave County Ghost Town

Mineral Park is a ghost town located in Mohave County Arizona founded in 1870. Once started, operations continued until 1912. The journey was tough just to them to get into the area due to the remove location. Prospectors would travel up the Colorado River by steamship and disembark in Hardyville which is overrun by modern Bullhead City, Arizona. Once offloaded, they would need to find their way north about 40 miles across the hot dry desert.

Today, the town site is now covered by a modern mining operation.

Mineral Park, Arizona @1880
Mineral Park, Arizona @1880

The post office was founded on December 31, 1872 and shortly after its formation the town was the county seat for Mohave County. Once mining operations came online, the little town supported a variety of businesses to service operations and the needs of its citizens including lawyers, doctors, blacksmiths, carpenters, hotels, assay offices, smelters saloons and dining halls.

Stamp mill and Mineral Park, Arizona
Stamp mill and Mineral Park, Arizona

The railroards helped boost activity for Mineral Park, when in 1883 rails were installed just 20 miles to the south by the “Atlantic and Pacific” Railroad. The new rail line shortened the distance to transport materials and ore to the location and reduced costs.

Operations continued until 1887 when mine production declined. The county seat was moved to nearby Kingman and the town failed completely in 1912.

The cemetery and some buildings are on private property of the modern mines operations and permission should be sought prior to exploration.

Town Summary

NameMineral Park
LocationMohave County, Arizona
Latitude, Longitude35.3708275, -114.1530103
GNIS8104
Elevation4,252 Feet
Post OfficeDecember 31, 1872 – June 15, 1912
NewspaperThe Mohave County Miner

Mineral Park Map

Resources