Como Nevada

Tucked away in the rugged folds of the Pine Nut Mountains in central Lyon County, Nevada, the ghost town of Como stands as a weathered sentinel to the fleeting dreams of the 1860s gold rush. Established amid the feverish prospecting that followed discoveries in the Palmyra Mining District, Como emerged as a bustling outpost of timber-framed saloons, mills, and miners’ shanties, its name possibly drawn from the Italian lake for its serene canyon setting or as a nod to the Comstock’s allure. Roughly 11 miles southeast of Dayton via a serpentine dirt road that climbs steep bajadas, Como’s isolation—exacerbated by the harsh, arid terrain where piñon pines cling to rocky slopes and wild horses roam the valleys—mirrors the boom-and-bust rhythm of Nevada’s mining frontier. This report traces Como’s arc from its optimistic founding to its inexorable fade, weaving in its vital ties to neighboring settlements, the iron veins of its mines, the rhythmic halt of trains at its depot, and the colorful lives of its denizens who chased fortune in the sage-scented dust.

Horse-powered whim, used for mining production of small mines. Photograph taken in Como, Nevada 1902.   Stanley W. Paher, Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps, (1970), Howell North, p 73, courtesy of William A. Kornmayer Collection
Horse-powered whim, used for mining production of small mines. Photograph taken in Como, Nevada 1902. Stanley W. Paher, Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps, (1970), Howell North, p 73, courtesy of William A. Kornmayer Collection

The Spark of Discovery and Early Settlement (1860–1863)

Como’s origins are rooted in the gold placers of Gold Canyon, where in 1849, Mormon emigrants first sifted glittering flakes from the sands—Nevada’s inaugural mineral rush, predating the Comstock Lode by a decade. By June 1860, richer quartz veins in the Pine Nut Mountains ignited the Palmyra Mining District, drawing a tide of prospectors, merchants, and opportunists to the canyons south of the fledgling town of Dayton. Initial camps sprouted around Palmyra, a modest cluster of tents and sluice boxes, but as assays revealed deeper lodes, the focus shifted eastward to a sheltered gulch where Como was platted in late 1862.

Merchants arrived swiftly, establishing a U.S. Postal Service outpost below the diggings to funnel letters and supplies from Carson City, 20 miles north. By early 1863, Como hummed with life: four hotels, including the opulent National with its carpeted rooms and parlor; four dry goods stores stocked with Levi’s and lantern oil; two livery stables echoing with the snort of mules; eight saloons awash in whiskey and tall tales; a brewery fermenting lager from Sierra snowmelt; and tradesmen’s shops—blacksmiths forging picks, tinsmiths hammering buckets. A schoolhouse rang with ABCs, and whispers of a weekly newspaper stirred the air, scented with sagebrush and the acrid bite of black powder. Population estimates soared to several thousand, a polyglot throng of Cornish hard-rock men, Irish laborers, and Chinese camp cooks, all betting on the earth’s hidden bounty.

Como’s birth intertwined with the Comstock’s silver frenzy to the north. Dayton, Lyon County’s official seat since November 1861, served as Como’s gateway, its Carson River mills processing ore freighted south from Virginia City via rutted toll roads. Silver City, just 10 miles northwest in the shadow of the Ophir Grade, acted as a vital freighting hub, its corrals teeming with wagons bound for Como’s placers, linking the gold camp to the silver bonanza. This symbiotic web—gold fueling silver’s mills, silver’s capital bankrolling gold’s claims—propelled Como’s early surge, even as some optimists wagered it would eclipse Virginia City itself.

Boomtown Glory, Mines, and Rails (1863–1865)

The arrival of “The Solomon Davis” in 1863—a steam-driven rock mill hauled over the Sierra by oxen—marked Como’s mechanical dawn, its pistons thumping like a heartbeat as it crushed quartz into payable dust. Smaller operations relied on horse-powered whims, their creaking sweeps silhouetted against canyon sunsets. The district’s mines—quartz veins laced with pyrite, gold, and traces of silver—yielded modestly, totaling $212,698 by 1936, but in the boom’s fever, they promised El Dorados. Tunnels burrowed into the hillsides, lit by tallow candles, where picks rang against schist and timbers groaned under cave-in threats.

The Virginia & Truckee Railroad (V&T), chartered in 1868 to tether the Comstock to the world, snaked south by 1869, its iron rails a lifeline for Como’s 11 miles from Dayton. Como Junction became a humming train stop, where locomotives like the brass-polished “Dayton” huffed to a halt, disgorging ore cars bound for Carson River mills and passengers—bankers from San Francisco, merchants from Gold Hill—eager for the Cross Hotel’s parlor comforts. Flatcars groaned under pine cordwood from the Sierras, fueling smelters, while spurs serviced local claims, their whistles piercing the night like miner’s laments. The V&T bound Como tighter to its neighbors: Dayton’s depot funneled Comstock silver south, Silver City’s teamsters loaded V&T flatbeds, and Virginia City’s bankers financed Como’s shafts, creating a regional pulse of steam and speculation.

Historic citizens lent Como its lore. Alf Doten, the ink-stained chronicler, arrived in June 1863 from California, his journals capturing the camp’s raw vigor—saloons brawling with Cornish fists, a brewery’s foam-flecked revels—before he decamped for Virginia City’s scribbler’s life. J.D. Winters, a tunnel-driving entrepreneur, erected a small mill only to watch profits evaporate, drifting north to toil in the Yellow Jacket’s depths. T.W. Abraham and H.L. Weston helmed The Como Sentinel from April to July 1864, their presses churning boosterish prose until the vein’s pinch forced relocation to Dayton’s Lyon County Sentinel. Kit Carson’s shadow loomed too; local lore tied the scout to the district, though his emigrant rescues lay west in the ’40s. And in a macabre footnote, Como’s first suicide in 1864 was spun as “self-sacrifice” in a town where “air so clean, a man can’t die,” a petition for county seat status that amused Lyon officials but lost to Yerington.

Decline and Desertion (1865–1935)

Como’s glory proved ephemeral. By 1864, high-grade pockets depleted, mills idled, and whispers of “pinched-out” veins sent wagons creaking toward fresher strikes. The post office shuttered January 3, 1881, its canvas flap stilled forever. Minor revivals flickered: 1916’s low-grade digs, 1929’s optimistic shafts, but the V&T’s southward pull toward Comstock’s richer lodes drained Como’s vitality, its depot weeds overtaking rails by the 1930s.

A desperate coda came in June 1935, when the Como Mines Company erected a 300-ton flotation mill, its gears grinding Depression-era hopes into slurry. It faltered swiftly, leaving rusted hulks amid the piñons. The surrounding web frayed: Silver City’s fires in 1928 and 1935 razed its freighting heart, Dayton’s mills crumbled, and the V&T, once the Comstock’s artery, succumbed to highways in 1950. Como, unmoored, slipped into silence, its petroglyph-pocked canyons reclaiming the scars of ambition—rock shelters where Washoe ancestors once sheltered, now echoing only wind through abandoned adits.

Current Status

Como endures as an unoccupied ghost town on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) acres, a skeletal mosaic of stone foundations, collapsed mine portals, and scattered relics like ore carts and whim wheels, perched at 5,500 feet amid the Pine Nuts’ wild expanse. No operations hum; the last mill’s ghost lingers in rusting tanks and pylons, while two mine-fed ponds mirror the sky for pronghorn and raptors. Access demands a high-clearance 4WD via Old Como Road from Dayton Valley Road—10.5 rocky miles southwest, passable in dry weather but treacherous after rains, with views of Dayton Valley’s patchwork farms giving way to untamed ridges.

Nevada’s tourism renaissance, buoyed by the V&T’s heritage excursions from Virginia City, draws ghost town aficionados to Como as part of Silver Trails itineraries, its ruins a counterpoint to Dayton’s living history and Silver City’s weathered facades. Recent X posts from November 2025 laud its “impressively intact” foundations and solitude, urging explorers to tread lightly amid the petroglyphs and wild horse herds. Yet, amid Nevada’s 2025 drought watch—with equal odds of wet or dry winters—flash floods pose seasonal perils, a reminder that Como’s canyons yield beauty and hazard in equal measure. It remains a place of quiet revelation, where the V&T’s faded echoes and miners’ ghosts invite reflection on the West’s indomitable, if unforgiving, spirit. For current road conditions, consult BLM resources or Nevada DOT advisories.

Tecopa Inyo County

Nestled in the stark, sun-scorched expanse of the Mojave Desert in southeastern Inyo County, California, Tecopa stands as a resilient outpost shaped by ancient indigenous pathways, fleeting mining booms, and the restorative allure of its natural hot springs. This unincorporated community, with coordinates at approximately 35°50′54″N 116°13′33″W and an elevation of 1,339 feet, derives its name from Paiute leader Chief Tecopa, a figure of regional reverence who symbolized the area’s deep Native American roots. Once a bustling hub tied to silver-laden veins and rattling railcars, Tecopa’s history intertwines with the broader narrative of the American Southwest’s resource rushes, its fortunes ebbing and flowing like the Amargosa River nearby. This report delves into its origins, mining legacy, railroad connections, relationships with neighboring towns, and the historic citizens who left indelible marks on its dusty landscape.

Old Tecopa house at smelter on Willow Creek, Amargosa Valley. Dr. Noble, Mrs. Noble. Inyo County, CA. 1922 - Photo from Herbert E. Gregory Book 8: 1915 - 1924.
Old Tecopa house at smelter on Willow Creek, Amargosa Valley. Dr. Noble, Mrs. Noble. Inyo County, CA. 1922 – Photo from Herbert E. Gregory Book 8: 1915 – 1924.

Indigenous Origins and Early Exploration

Long before European settlers etched their claims into the parched earth, Tecopa’s lands were stewarded by Native American tribes, including the Koso, Chemehuevi, Southern Paiute, and Western Shoshone, who traversed the region for millennia. These indigenous peoples utilized the area’s natural hot springs—mineral-rich waters bubbling from geothermal sources—for healing and sustenance, integrating them into their cultural practices. The site served as a vital water stop along ancient trading networks, evolving into a segment of the Old Spanish Trail, established in 1829 by Spanish explorers following Native footpaths. This trail, linking Santa Fe, New Mexico, to Southern California missions like San Gabriel, facilitated trade in goods, livestock, and unfortunately, enslaved individuals. Caravans, including the pioneering 1829-1830 expedition led by Antonio Armijo, passed through Tecopa’s vicinity, navigating from Las Vegas southward via Resting Springs and Willow Creek. The trail’s legacy persists, preserved by organizations like the Old Spanish Trail Association, with a Tecopa chapter founded in 2008 to protect local segments.

The 1859 guide The Prairie Traveler noted Willow Spring’s waters as undrinkable for animals due to saleratus (sodium bicarbonate) contamination, highlighting the harsh environmental challenges that defined early travel. Tecopa’s strategic position along these routes made it a nexus for cultural exchange and survival in the unforgiving desert.

The Mining Boom and Town Founding (1870s–1880s)

The California Gold Rush’s echoes reverberated into Inyo County, drawing prospectors to Tecopa in the late 19th century. In spring 1875, brothers William D. and Robert D. Brown unearthed rich lead and silver ore in the hills near Resting Springs, along the Old Spanish Trail. They organized the Resting Springs Mining District—initially dubbed Brown’s Treasure—and staked claims, incorporating the Balance Consolidated Mining Company with San Francisco investors, including mining magnate George Hearst. A townsite emerged at Willow Creek, five miles southeast of Resting Springs, christened Brownsville. By 1876, it boasted a ranch yielding potatoes, vegetables, and orchard fruits, supporting a burgeoning camp.

Jonas D. Osborne, a seasoned mining superintendent from Eureka, Nevada, acquired the Browns’ interests in early 1876, renaming the town Tecopa in honor of the Paiute chief. Under Osborne’s stewardship, the district flourished: a post office opened in May 1877 with Henry Schaefer as postmaster, and the population swelled to around 400 by 1877, with 200 employed in mining. Amenities included saloons, stores, a boarding house, livery stable, and stage service from San Bernardino. Key mines like the Gunsight and Noonday became prolific, with the Gunsight’s shaft reaching 385 feet by 1878, yielding ore averaging $80 per ton. A smelter began operations in 1877, employing up to 44 men, though challenges like water scarcity, ore composition shifts, and equipment failures plagued progress. A 10-stamp mill was erected in 1879, and a 1,000-foot tunnel completed in 1881 by foreman Everett Smith.

The district produced nearly $4 million in lead-silver ore by 1928, with additional minerals like borax, gypsum, talc, iron, and gold extracted from nearby sites such as the War Eagle and Columbia mines. However, high freight costs—five cents per pound from San Bernardino—contributed to a decline by mid-1879, as miners shifted to Resting Springs. Tecopa was largely deserted by 1881, though intermittent operations persisted under owners like Caesar Luckhardt and later Osborne’s repurchase in 1883 with backer Harry Drew.

Railroad Era and Revival (1900s–1930s)

More details Tonopah & Tidewater #1 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive, originally built for the Wisconsin and Michigan Railroad, later going to the Randsburg Railway on the Santa Fe as their #1 (later #260). Went to the T&T in 1904 and used in passenger and shunting service. It was scrapped in 1941, and the bell was saved by the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society at Pomona, CA.
More details
Tonopah & Tidewater #1 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive, originally built for the Wisconsin and Michigan Railroad, later going to the Randsburg Railway on the Santa Fe as their #1 (later #260). Went to the T&T in 1904 and used in passenger and shunting service. It was scrapped in 1941, and the bell was saved by the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society at Pomona, CA.

The early 20th century breathed new life into Tecopa with the advent of rail infrastructure. The Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad (T&T), spearheaded by borax tycoon Francis Marion “Borax” Smith, arrived in 1907, establishing Tecopa as its closest point to the mines and prompting a post office revival (1907–1931, reopened 1932). This line connected Tecopa to broader networks, facilitating ore shipment south to processing facilities.

In 1910, Jack Osborne (son of Jonas) and associates constructed the Tecopa Railroad, a standard-gauge short line hauling ore from the Noonday and Gunsight mines westward to a siding at Tecopa, where it interfaced with the T&T. This 7-mile spur, built amid rugged terrain, underscored regional competition for freight control, pitting Osborne against Smith. The railroad bolstered mining during the 1910s–1930s boom, with the Tecopa Consolidated Mining Company shipping over $4 million in silver and lead ores. Train stops at Tecopa siding served as vital hubs for goods and passengers, linking to Ivanpah and the Amargosa corridor. However, declining ore yields in the late 1910s, coupled with the rise of trucking, led to the Tecopa Railroad’s cessation by 1930 and dismantling in 1938; the T&T followed suit in the early 1940s.

Relationships with Surrounding Towns and Areas

Tecopa’s isolation was mitigated by its ties to neighboring settlements, forged through trails, mines, and rails. Resting Springs, six miles northwest, was an early rival camp with a smaller population (about 30 whites and 60 indigenous residents in the 1870s), featuring a store, blacksmith, saloons, and smelter site. Miners oscillated between the two, with Tecopa initially drawing the bulk due to its proximity to Willow Creek.

To the north, Shoshone emerged as a key ally, founded in 1910 by Ralph “Dad” Fairbanks and his son-in-law Charles “Charlie” Brown, who salvaged materials from the defunct Greenwater mining town. Shoshone’s store, gas pumps, and amenities supported Tecopa miners, with Brown owning shares in local mines and extending his influence as a state senator. The towns shared economic synergies, with Tecopa’s ores funneled through Shoshone’s infrastructure.

Southward, China Ranch (Willow Creek area) was developed around 1900 by Chinese immigrant Quon Sing (or Ah Foo), who cultivated vegetables and raised livestock for miners, adding a multicultural layer to the region’s history. Broader connections extended to Pahrump, Nevada (via modern routes), Baker, California (founded by Fairbanks), and Las Vegas, all linked by the Old Spanish Trail and railroads. These relationships underscored Tecopa’s role as a logistical node in the desert’s extractive economy.

Decline, Hot Springs, and Legacy (1940s–Present)

Post-1930s, mine closures in 1957 (with talc operations lingering 25 years) triggered depopulation, reducing Tecopa to a near-ghost town by the 1980s. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management encouraged homesteading in the 1950s–1960s via the Small Tract Act, attracting retirees to Tecopa Heights. Squatters flocked to the hot springs in the 1960s, documented by writer John Gregory Dunne in his 1978 Saturday Evening Post article, reprinted in Quintana & Friends. Inyo County developed facilities on BLM-leased land, including a community center and baths, shifting focus to tourism.

A mid-1990s renaissance, led by figures like Cynthia Kienitz—who restored historic sites and founded trail preservation efforts—revived the area as an artistic retreat. Today, Tecopa’s hot springs draw visitors, preserving echoes of its mining past amid the Amargosa Opera House’s cultural vibrancy nearby.

Notable Historic Citizens

Tecopa’s story is peopled by intrepid figures:

  • Chief Tecopa: Revered Paiute leader (c. 1815–1904), known for peacemaking and adopting modern attire; the town honors his legacy.
  • William D. and Robert D. Brown: Prospecting brothers who discovered ore in 1875, founding Brownsville and igniting the mining district.
  • Jonas D. Osborne: Mining entrepreneur who renamed the town, built smelters, and navigated booms and busts from 1876–1883.
  • Charles “Charlie” Brown: Miner, Greenwater sheriff, and Shoshone founder; married Stella Fairbanks in 1910, became state senator, owned Tecopa mine shares, and shaped regional development until his death.
  • Ralph “Dad” Fairbanks: Brown’s partner, salvaged Greenwater to build Shoshone, extending influence to Baker.
  • Quon Sing (Ah Foo): Chinese immigrant who transformed Willow Creek into China Ranch around 1900, supplying miners with produce.
  • John Gregory Dunne: Author who chronicled 1960s squatters, capturing Tecopa’s bohemian transition.

These individuals embody Tecopa’s spirit of perseverance, where dreams of fortune clashed with desert realities, leaving a legacy etched in crumbling adobes and steaming springs.

Today

Tecopa is a tourist destination for those seeking a peaceful and relaxing retreat in nature. The town offers a range of outdoor activities such as hiking, bird watching, and exploring the local history and culture. Visitors can also enjoy the local cuisine, which features traditional dishes made with locally sourced ingredients. Perhaps, the towns biggest draw is a variety of Hot Springs that are available.

The small town that offers a unique combination of natural beauty, history, and culture. Its hot springs, wildlife, and other natural attractions make it an ideal destination for those seeking a peaceful and rejuvenating escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Tecopa Summary

NameTecopa, California
LocationInyo County, California
Population175
Latitude, Longitude35.8470, -116.2258
Elevation1,340 feet

Tecopa Map

Tecopa is located a file miles east of the California State Route 127 on the Old Spanish Trail Highway.

References

Hell’s Heroes

Hell’s Heroes (1929) is a pioneering early sound Western film directed by the acclaimed William Wyler, marking his first all-talking production and a significant milestone in his illustrious career, which would later include classics like Ben-Hur and Roman Holiday. Adapted from Peter B. Kyne’s novel The Three Godfathers, the story follows three desperate outlaws—Bob Sangster (Charles Bickford), “Barbwire” Gibbons (Raymond Hatton), and “Wild Bill” Kearney (Fred Kohler)—who rob a bank in the desert town of New Jerusalem and flee into the harsh wilderness. Their journey takes a redemptive turn when they discover a dying woman and her newborn baby in a covered wagon, vowing to deliver the infant to safety across the unforgiving Death Valley-like terrain. The narrative blends gritty realism with themes of sacrifice, morality, and human endurance, shot in stark black-and-white to emphasize the desolate landscape’s brutality. Clocking in at around 68 minutes, the film was produced by Universal Pictures and notable for its on-location shooting, which lent an authentic, rugged atmosphere absent from studio-bound productions of the era.

Hell's Heros (1929) Movie Title Screen
Hell’s Heros (1929) Movie Title Screen

Filmed primarily in the summer of 1929 in the remote ghost town of Bodie, California—a once-booming gold-mining settlement in the Eastern Sierra Nevada—the movie used the town’s dilapidated wooden structures and dusty streets to stand in for the fictional New Jerusalem. This choice of location was practical, as Bodie’s isolation and preserved 19th-century architecture provided a perfect backdrop for the story’s Old West setting. At the time, Bodie was already in decline, with a dwindling population after its peak in the late 1870s and early 1880s, when it housed up to 10,000 residents and was infamous for its saloons, brothels, and lawlessness.

Bodie served as a movie set in the 1929 movie, Hell's Heros
Bodie served as a movie set in the 1929 movie, Hell’s Heros

Beyond its narrative value, Hell’s Heroes serves an inadvertent documentary role by capturing rare footage of Bodie just three years before a devastating fire in 1932 ravaged the town. The film’s exterior shots preserve images of buildings, streets, and the overall layout that no longer exist, offering historians and enthusiasts a visual record of Bodie’s pre-fire state. This “accidental archive” is particularly poignant, as Bodie had already begun transitioning into a ghost town, and the movie’s depiction highlights its eerie, time-frozen quality—empty boardwalks, weathered facades, and the remnants of mining infrastructure—that would soon be lost to flames.

A wonderful view of Bodie is available to the travels en route to Masonic. Photography by James L Rathbun
A wonderful view of Bodie is available to the travels en route to Masonic. Photography by James L Rathbun

Fires played a pivotal and destructive role in Bodie’s history, underscoring the fragility of frontier boomtowns built hastily from flammable wood in an era without modern fire safety. The town’s first major blaze occurred in 1878, followed by others in 1886 and a catastrophic one in 1892, sparked in a kitchen, which obliterated much of the business district along Main Street, including stores, saloons, and homes. This 1892 fire accelerated Bodie’s economic decline by destroying key infrastructure during a period when gold yields were already waning. The most significant inferno, however, struck on June 23, 1932—allegedly started by a young boy playing with matches—which consumed approximately 90% of the remaining structures, leaving only about 10% of the town intact. By then, Bodie’s population had shrunk to fewer than 100, and the fire sealed its fate as an abandoned relic. Paradoxically, these fires contributed to Bodie’s preservation as a cultural landmark; by preventing rebuilding and repopulation, they allowed the surviving buildings to remain in a state of “arrested decay,” now protected as Bodie State Historic Park since 1962. The blazes symbolize the boom-and-bust cycle of Gold Rush towns, where rapid growth met equally swift ruin, influenced by factors like poor construction, harsh weather, and human error. Today, Bodie’s fire-scarred legacy draws visitors seeking a glimpse into California’s wild past, with Hell’s Heroes standing as a celluloid testament to what was lost.

Watch the Hell’s Heroes on the Bodie.com Youtube channel.

Hedges California – Imperial County Ghost Town

In the sun-scorched folds of the Cargo Muchacho Mountains, where the Colorado Desert meets the stark horizon of Imperial County, lie the weathered remnants of Hedges—a fleeting gold camp that once pulsed with the clamor of picks, stamps, and dreams of fortune. Established in the late 19th century amid California’s enduring gold fever, Hedges epitomized the raw, speculative energy of the American West’s mining frontier. Named for a corporate vice president rather than a rugged prospector, this outpost in what was then eastern San Diego County (prior to Imperial County’s formation in 1907) swelled to over 3,000 residents at its zenith, only to fade into spectral silence by the early 20th century. Renamed Tumco in 1910, it endured sporadic revivals until World War II, leaving behind a landscape etched with mine shafts, tailings, and a poignant cemetery. This report traces Hedges’ arc from discovery to desolation, weaving in its vital ties to the Southern Pacific Railroad’s lifeline at Ogilby, the perilous mines that sustained it, and its contextual bonds with the broader Imperial Valley towns that emerged in its shadow.

[Circa 1905] Tumco Historic Mining Town, California - Hedges California
[Circa 1905] Tumco Historic Mining Town, California – Hedges California

Early Discoveries and Foundations (1780s–1890s)

The Cargo Muchacho Mountains—whose name, Spanish for “muchacho cargo” or “boy’s load,” evokes tales of young Mexican prospectors hauling ore—harbored gold long before Anglo-American settlers arrived. Spanish explorers from Sonora mined veins in the 1780s, their efforts halted by the Yuma Revolt of 1781, a Quechan uprising that severed supply lines and claimed 48 lives at the nearby Yuma Crossing. Mexican miners returned post-1823, staking claims and etching the mountains’ moniker into history, but operations remained small-scale until the U.S. era.

The modern saga ignited in 1862, when legend credits a stray mule from a wagon train camped near the mountains with unearthing a nugget—prompting searches that traced quartz ledges but yielded no immediate boom. True ignition came on January 6, 1884, when Peter Walters, a resident of the nascent rail stop at Ogilby, discovered the Gold Rock vein while scouting Tumco Wash. Walters’ Little Mary Claim birthed the Gold Rock mining camp, a ragged cluster of tents amid creosote and ocotillo, where water was hauled from the Colorado River via a 12-mile wooden pipeline pumping 100,000 gallons daily.

By 1892, Walters sold to developers who rechristened it the Gold Cross Mine, forming the Golden Cross Mining and Milling Company. A 20-stamp mill rose in 1893, its thunderous rhythm processing ore from deepening shafts, drawing a tide of fortune-seekers—largely Hispanic laborers from Sonora and Sinaloa, supplemented by Anglo investors and Cornish engineers. The camp formalized as Hedges in 1893, honoring vice president C.L. Hedges, swelling to 3,200 by 1899—a polyglot boomtown of adobes, frame shacks, and assay offices huddled in a narrow canyon at 617 feet elevation. In 1900, amid Imperial County’s preformation expanse, Hedges boasted 400 souls, the largest settlement in the future county, its air thick with dust, charcoal smoke, and the acrid tang of cyanide leaching.

The Boom Era and Mining Operations (1890s–1900s)

Hedges’ golden pulse beat fiercest from 1893 to 1899, fueled by the Cargo Muchacho Mining District (also called Hedges or Ogilby District), a web of veins yielding over 200,000 ounces of gold across its lifetime. Key mines encircled the town: the flagship Gold Cross (formerly Gold Rock), with its labyrinthine tunnels plunging hundreds of feet; the Picacho, American Girl, and Guadalupe, luring investors like ex-Governor Henry Markham; and lesser veins like the Little Mary, Blossom, and Padre Y Madre. These “most hazardous mines in the Southwest” claimed lives through cave-ins, fires, and suffocating heat exceeding 120°F in summer, their Cornish-style shafts demanding timber hauled by rail from Arizona.

The town’s layout mirrored mining exigencies: a central mill district flanked by ethnic enclaves—Hispanic barrios with adobe jacales, Anglo boardinghouses, and a Chinese laundry quarter—bisected by rutted streets alive with ore wagons and burros. Saloons like the Golden Cross poured rotgut amid raucous tales, while a school, store, and post office (open 1894–1905) lent fragile normalcy. Yet prosperity was illusory; overexpansion plagued operations, with the mill grinding low-grade ore to sustain 140 stamps, amassing vast tailings that cyaniding failed to redeem. By 1900, debt mounted, and Hedges teetered.

Railroad Lifeline: Train Stops and Connectivity

No artery was more vital than the Southern Pacific Railroad, whose Yuma-to-Los Angeles line, completed in 1877, threaded the desert like a steel vein. Ogilby, founded that year as a siding 4.5 miles southwest of Hedges, became the indispensable railhead and supply depot. What began as a sparse outpost—cistern, section house, and bunkhouses for Chinese laborers—burgeoned in the 1880s as Hedges’ ore gateway, shipping bullion to San Francisco and importing timbers, machinery, and grubstakes. Freight trains halted at Ogilby’s platform, their whistles echoing through the washes, while passengers—miners, merchants, and speculators—trekked north via wagon or horseback along S34 (now County Highway S34).

This symbiosis extended the district’s reach: ore from American Girl or Picacho rumbled to Ogilby for transshipment, fostering satellite camps like Gold Rock and briefly boosting Ogilby’s own post office (intermittent 1880–1942). No direct rail penetrated Hedges’ canyon, but the line’s proximity—mere miles from the mines—spurred the 1912 Plank Road’s construction nearby, easing overland haulage. When Hedges’ post office shuttered in 1905, Ogilby absorbed its mail, underscoring their interdependence. Farther afield, the rail linked to Yuma, Arizona (20 miles east), a provisioning hub, while westbound cars fed the burgeoning Imperial Valley farms.

Ties to Surrounding Towns and Regional Context

Hedges stood as an outlier in Imperial County’s mosaic—a mining enclave amid what would become an agricultural powerhouse. Its closest kin was Ogilby, a symbiotic rail sibling whose fate mirrored Hedges’: both peaked with the gold rush, waned by the 1900s, and ghosted by the 1950s, leaving only Ogilby’s cemetery (with 1878 Chinese graves) and foundations. Broader connections fanned to the Imperial Valley’s northwesterly towns, born of the same Colorado River irrigation that transformed desert into lettuce fields post-1901.

Calipatria (20 miles northwest) and Niland (25 miles northwest), platted in the 1910s as rail-ag stops on the Southern Pacific’s Salton Sea branch, drew Hedges’ veterans when mines faltered. Niland (formerly Imperial Junction) shipped ore early on but pivoted to cotton and produce, its post office absorbing stragglers from Ogilby. Calipatria, with its towering flagpole symbolizing resilience below sea level, hosted Mexican families akin to Hedges’ Hispanic core, fostering informal migrations for farm labor. Today, these towns collaborate via the NorthEnd Alliance, addressing shared woes like water hikes from Golden State Water—echoing Hedges’ old thirst for Colorado River hauls. El Centro (30 miles west), the county seat since 1907, absorbed administrative echoes, while Yuma provided cross-border trade. Hedges thus seeded the valley’s hybrid economy: gold’s grit paving agriculture’s green furrows.

Decline and Legacy (1900s–1940s)

Hubris felled Hedges: speculative overreach, vein pinch-outs, and mismanagement bankrupted the Gold Cross Company by 1905, idling the mill and emptying streets. A ghost by 1909, it revived as Tumco in 1910 under The United Mines Company, extracting sporadically until 1917. The Great Depression quashed hopes, but a 1937–1942 wartime push yielded final ounces before abandonment, the population dwindling to 30. Hazards persisted—fires razed workings, and isolation bred despair—yet the district’s output burnished California’s gold legacy, predating the 1849 rush.

The Hedges Cemetery, northeast of the ruins at 643 feet, endures with unmarked graves—15 Protestant, 75 Catholic—testifying to the town’s diverse dead. A trash midden of rusted cans evokes discarded hopes, while petrified adobes whisper of families fled to valley farms.

Current Status

Today, Hedges/Tumco sprawls across 640 acres of Bureau of Land Management preserve, a California Historical Landmark (No. 182) accessible via Gold Rock Ranch Road off S34, 9 miles north of I-8. No residents haunt its sun-bleached bones: collapsed mill foundations, yawning shafts (barricaded for safety), and ore cart relics dot the wash, patrolled by coyotes and kit foxes. High-clearance vehicles navigate the graded trailhead, where interpretive signs recount Walters’ strike and the 300-year saga. Flash floods and summer scorch demand caution; no water or facilities exist.

Revived as eco-tourism, Tumco draws 5,000 visitors yearly via BLM’s “Get Outside” campaigns, their drones capturing golden-hour ruins amid cholla blooms. Nearby, the Mesquite Mine hums with modern gold, linking past to present. Hedges endures not as mourned relic, but as a stark parable of desert alchemy—where veins of quartz turned to dust, yet forged the valley’s enduring vein of resilience. For guided tours, consult BLM’s Yuma Field Office.

Town Summary

NameHedges, California
AliasGold Rock, Tumco
LocationImperial County, California
AliasTumco – Hedges – Ogilby
Latitude, Longitude32.8793891573, -114.837144612
GNIS243332
Elevation575 Feet
Population3200

California Historical Landmarks

NO. 182 TUMCO MINES – Pete Walters of Ogilby discovered the first gold vein at Gold Rock on January 6, 1884. From his Little Mary Claim began a gold camp which reached its peak development between 1893 and 1899 as Hedges, with 3,200 residents. Nearly closed, 1900-10, it was reopened as Tumco, 1910-13, and worked intermittently until 1941. Tumco has long been a California ghost town.

California Historical Landmarks 

Hedges Town Map

References

Greenwater California – Inyo County Ghost Town

In the scorched embrace of the Funeral Mountains, where the Mojave Desert meets the unrelenting heat of Death Valley, lies the spectral outline of Greenwater—a fleeting copper boomtown that flickered to life in the shadow of California’s most infamous wilderness. Perched at approximately 3,500 feet in Greenwater Valley, about 27 miles southeast of Furnace Creek and just over the Nevada border from the Bullfrog Mining District, Greenwater embodied the raw ambition of early 20th-century prospectors. Named for the verdant spring that promised life amid the barren talus slopes and creosote flats, the town rose from two rival camps—Kunze and Ramsey—only to collapse under the weight of unprofitable veins and economic turmoil. Its story is one of explosive speculation, where over $15 million in investments poured into a district yielding little more than oxidized malachite and investor regret. This report traces Greenwater’s turbulent history, its vital ties to neighboring outposts like Rhyolite and Beatty, the lifeline of railroad aspirations, and the mines that lured—and ultimately betrayed—thousands to this unforgiving frontier.

Greenwater Mining District, CA 1906
Greenwater Mining District, CA 1906

Early Discoveries and the Spark of the Boom (1880s–1905)

The Funeral Range, a jagged volcanic spine etched by ancient fault lines, had long guarded its mineral secrets. As early as the 1880s, prospectors whispered of copper outcrops staining the canyon walls with turquoise hues, but the site’s isolation—over 50 miles from the nearest railhead and besieged by summer temperatures exceeding 120°F and winter freezes that cracked water barrels—stifled development. Water, the desert’s cruelest commodity, cost $15 per barrel, hauled by mule teams from distant springs, while the nearest civilization was a grueling three-day trek across the Amargosa Desert.

The tide turned in 1904, when the gold rush in Nevada’s Bullfrog District—ignited by Shorty Harris’s quartz strike near present-day Rhyolite—drew adventurers southward. Prospectors spilling over from Beatty and Rhyolite stumbled upon rich copper oxides near Greenwater Spring, a rare oasis where alkali flats gave way to mineralized breccias. Frank McAllister and Arthur Kunze staked the first claims in late 1904, founding Kunze Camp atop the ridge at 4,000 feet, where a modest cluster of tents sprouted amid the piñon and Joshua trees. By spring 1905, rival Harry Ramsey platted a lower site in the valley floor, dubbing it Copperfield or Ramsey, three miles downhill for easier wagon access. These embryonic outposts, fueled by tales of “picture ore” assaying 20–30% copper, marked the prelude to frenzy, as stages from Beatty rattled in with wide-eyed speculators clutching stock prospectuses.

Greenwater California 1907
Greenwater California 1907

Boomtown Rivalry and Rapid Expansion (1906–1907)

By August 1906, the merger of Kunze and Ramsey birthed Greenwater proper, a canvas metropolis swelling to 2,000 souls in the blink of an eye. Tents blanketed the valley like a vast encampment, housing saloons belching forth raucous laughter and the acrid smoke of hand-rolled cigarettes, alongside assay offices tallying assays that fueled Wall Street dreams. The Death Valley Chuck-Walla, a satirical broadsheet, skewered frauds and boosters alike, its pages alive with cartoons of “copper kings” and exposés of wildcat schemes. A post office opened in October, the Greenwater Banking Corporation erected a two-story frame edifice, and the Tonopah Lumber Company hauled in 150,000 board feet to frame hotels, stores, and a nascent red-light district. Main Street lots fetched $500–$5,000, with over 2,200 platted in 130 blocks, while a justice of the peace and constable imposed a veneer of order amid the chaos of claim-jumpers and saloon brawls.

Seventy-three companies incorporated, backed by titans like Charles Schwab (Greenwater United Copper) and F.M. “Borax” Smith, injecting $15–30 million into shafts piercing the rhyolite and tuff. Nearby Furnace, a tent city three miles west founded by Patsy Clark’s Furnace Creek Copper Company, boomed in parallel, its post office flickering from March 1907 to February 1908. Yet, beneath the bustle, cracks formed: water scarcity forced reliance on hauled barrels, and the first assays revealed shallow oxides giving way to barren ash below 200 feet.

Greenwater California
Greenwater California

Ties to Surrounding Towns: A Web of Supply and Speculation

Greenwater’s isolation bred dependence on its Nevada neighbors, forging a symbiotic yet strained network across the state line. Rhyolite, 35 miles north in the Bullfrog Hills, served as the primary gateway; its gold-fueled boom—peaking at 10,000 residents—drew the initial rush southward, with stages from Rhyolite’s depot ferrying prospectors over Daylight Pass in three bone-jarring days. Beatty, five miles east of Rhyolite and straddling the Amargosa River, emerged as the crucial freight hub, its Montgomery Hotel and saloons provisioning Greenwater’s miners with whiskey, beans, and dynamite via mule trains. Amargosa, a nascent stop three miles west of Rhyolite, briefly thrived as a waystation for Greenwater-bound wagons, its store and blacksmith echoing with the clamor of ore sacks.

This interdependence cut both ways: Greenwater’s copper fever siphoned capital from Bullfrog’s gold fields, irking Rhyolite operators who watched investors pivot south. When Rhyolite’s mines faltered in 1907, its salvaged timbers and machinery migrated to Greenwater, only to be abandoned there in turn. Furnace Creek, 27 miles west in Death Valley proper, supplied scant water and borax lore from “Borax” Smith’s operations, while distant Tonopah and Goldfield funneled speculative stock sales eastward. In essence, Greenwater was a peripheral bloom on the Bullfrog stem, its vitality borrowed from Nevada’s gold rush until both withered.

Train Stops and the Elusive Iron Horse

Railroads were Greenwater’s siren song, promising to conquer the desert’s tyranny. The Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad (T&T), chartered in 1904 by “Borax” Smith to link his Death Valley borax works to Ludlow, California, snaked northward from the Santa Fe mainline, reaching Crucero in 1906 and Death Valley Junction by 1907. Its 160-mile grade skirted Greenwater Valley, with a proposed branch eyeing the copper camps; surveyors plotted routes from Beatty (via the Las Vegas & Tonopah) and Amargosa, but the Panic of 1907 derailed ambitions.

The Tonopah & Greenwater Railroad, incorporated in March 1907, vowed a 50-mile spur from the T&T at Amargosa, complete by July, but it never broke ground. Greenwater’s fate hinged on Ramsey’s lower site for its gentler gradient—saving millions in grading—yet no spike was driven. The T&T’s northern terminus at Gold Center, south of Beatty, became a nominal “stop” for Greenwater freight, but wagons remained king, groaning under 20-ton loads across rutted trails. The railroads’ ghosts linger in graded beds now traced by off-roaders, a testament to promises unfulfilled.

The Mines: Copper Dreams and Barren Realities

Greenwater’s 2,500 claims riddled the Funeral Range’s east face, targeting oxidized copper in brecciated rhyolite—malachite and azurite staining faults amid quartz veins. The Furnace Creek Copper Mine, Greenwater’s crown jewel under Patsy Clark, plunged 200 feet, shipping 20 tons of 20% ore in early 1906 before hitting sterile ash. Schwab’s Greenwater United Copper, capitalized at $5 million, tunneled aggressively, as did the Greenwater Death Valley Copper Company, whose 73 rivals blanketed the valley in a frenzy of drywashers and adits.

Production was a mirage: sporadic shipments in 1916–1918 and 1929 gleaned $10,000 from dumps during copper spikes, but no mine achieved sustained output. The Greenwater Mine yielded one carload in 1916; others, like the Hallelujah and Hidden Valley groups, idled as shafts revealed low-grade sulfides untreatable without a smelter. Fraud tainted the boom—four companies exposed as scams—yet the district’s geology, a cap of shallow oxides over deep barren rock, doomed it utterly. Tailings scar the slopes today, silent witnesses to ambition’s folly.

Decline and Desertion (1907–1920s)

The Panic of 1907 struck like a Mojave dust storm, crashing copper stocks and halting infusions; by summer, saloons shuttered, and the Chuck-Walla fell silent. Guggenheim engineers, inspecting Furnace Creek, pronounced the veins pinched out, triggering a mass exodus—tents folded, wagons creaked northward to Rhyolite’s own ruins. By January 1908, only 50 lingered amid one saloon’s dying echoes; the post office closed in 1908, and Furnace followed suit. Sporadic revivals in World War I’s copper hunger yielded scraps, but by the 1920s, Greenwater devolved into a winter haven for “desert rats”—grizzled prospectors swapping yarns around campfires, their dreams as dry as the valley floor.

Current Status

Today, Greenwater is a true ghost, its tent scars erased by wind and flash floods, leaving scant ruins at the original Kunze site—a few leveled foundations and mine adits—while the valley floor lies barren. Managed within Death Valley National Park, access demands a high-clearance 4WD via the 20-mile Greenwater Valley Road from Highway 190 south of Dante’s View—rutted, washboarded, and prone to seasonal closures from monsoons or snow. No amenities exist; visitors contend with extreme heat (up to 130°F) and hypothermia risks at night, packing water and fuel for the isolation.

Greenwater draws intrepid explorers via the Lonesome Miner Trail—a 40-mile backpacking route linking it to Beveridge and other Inyo relics—championed by the National Park Service for its “outdoor museum” value. Drone footage and geotagged hikes trend on platforms like AllTrails, but the site’s fragility—tailings laced with arsenic—warrants caution; no collecting is permitted. Amid climate whiplash, with 2025’s erratic rains scouring the valley, Greenwater endures as a meditation on hubris, its silence broken only by coyote howls echoing the ghosts of a copper mirage. For current conditions, consult NPS resources.

Greenwater Town Summary

NameGreenwater
Also Known Kunze, Ramsey
LocationInyo County, Death Valley, California
Latitude, Longitude36.179444, -116.616389
Elevation4,280 feet
NewspaperGreenwater Times ( 1906-1908 )

Greenwater Map

References