Originally part of the Utah Territory, Genoa is a former Pony Express Station and unincorporated community in Douglas County, Nevada. The settlement was first founded in 1850 by Mormon Settlers when they founded the Mormon Station as a trading post for travelers bound for California. The original trading post operates in a roofless log enclosure built by H.S. Beatie and other Mormon settlers.
Travelers along the Carson Route to California could purchase supplies such clothing, tobacco, meat, canned goods, coffee, beans, sugar, flour and bacon. In 1852, the settlement hosts heavy emigrant traffic and a supports a post office, sawmills and blacksmith.
Most historical sources agree on the identity of Genoa as a station as well. However, James Pierson also identifies the site as the Old Mormon Station. The old post office also served as the station, which seems rather on point. The livery stable across the street supplied riders with fresh horses.
Much of Genoa, including the original fort, station, and hotel, was destroyed in a fire in 1910, but a replica of the fort was built in 1947. In 1976 the post office site was a vacant lot, and a picnic area occupied the livery stable location.
Genoa is home to the oldest bar in the state of Nevada, which opened in 1853
Genoa Station Summary
|Location||Douglas County, Nevada|
|Latitude, Longitude||39.0044, -119.8472|
|Other Names||Mormon Station|
|Post Office||1852 –|
|Newspaper||Territorial Enterprise (1858 – 1860)|
|NPS Station Number||165|
|Next Westbound Station||Van Sickle’s Station|
|Nest Eastbound Station||Carson City Station|
Pingback: The Pony Express Trails and Stations In Nevada - Destination4x4
Pingback: Carson City Station - Pony Express Station - Destination4x4
Pingback: Van Sickle's Station - Pony Express - Destination4x4