South Campground is one of the most popular campgrounds in Zion National Park, located in Springdale, Utah. It is situated at an elevation of 3,900 feet, surrounded by the towering cliffs of Zion Canyon and offering access to some of the park’s most iconic hikes and attractions.
Amenities and Facilities:
South Campground offers a range of amenities and facilities to make your camping experience as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Some of the key amenities include:
- Campsites: South Campground offers a total of 127 campsites, including 13 group sites and 4 accessible sites. The campsites are arranged in loops, with each loop offering its own set of amenities and facilities.
- Restrooms: There are two sets of restrooms located within South Campground, each with running water and flush toilets. The restrooms are cleaned daily and are equipped with hand dryers and baby changing stations.
- Picnic tables and fire pits: Each campsite at South Campground comes with a picnic table and a fire pit, allowing campers to enjoy meals and roast marshmallows over a campfire.
- Water: There are several water spigots located throughout South Campground, allowing campers to fill up their water bottles and clean their dishes.
- Dump station: There is a dump station located near the entrance of South Campground, allowing campers to dispose of their waste.
- Camp store: There is a camp store located near the entrance of South Campground, offering a range of supplies and souvenirs for campers.
South Campground is known for its stunning natural beauty and its proximity to some of Zion National Park’s most iconic features. Here are some of the key features of South Campground:
- Zion Canyon: South Campground is located in Zion Canyon, which is known for its towering cliffs, narrow canyons, and stunning vistas. The canyon can be accessed via the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive, which is closed to private vehicles from April to October.
- Hiking trails: South Campground offers access to a range of hiking trails, including the famous Angels Landing and The Narrows hikes. Angels Landing is a strenuous hike that involves a steep ascent up a narrow ridge to a scenic overlook, while The Narrows is a water hike that takes you through the narrowest section of Zion Canyon.
- Wildlife: South Campground is home to a range of wildlife, including mule deer, coyotes, and a variety of birds. Visitors are advised to keep a safe distance from wildlife and to store food and other items in bear-proof containers.
- Dark skies: South Campground is known for its dark skies, making it an ideal location for stargazing. Visitors can enjoy views of the Milky Way and other celestial objects on clear nights.
South Campground is a popular destination, and reservations are strongly recommended, especially during peak season (March to November). Reservations can be made up to six months in advance through the National Park Service website or by calling the reservation line. There are no walk-in sites available at South Campground, and campers are required to have a reservation before arriving at the campground.
South Campground is a popular and highly sought-after camping destination within Zion National Park. Its amenities and facilities make it a comfortable and convenient place to stay while exploring the stunning natural beauty of the park, and its proximity to hiking trails and other attractions makes it an ideal base camp for outdoor adventurers. Visitors are advised to make reservations in advance and to follow all park rules and regulations to ensure a safe and enjoyable camping experience.