Berlin Nevada is a ghost town located in Nye County, Nevada and found within the Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park some 19 miles east of Gabbs. Originally founded in 1895 by State Senator Bell, Berlin was named for Berlin Germany, the home land for some of the local prospectors. Berlin was worked for silver when the enterprise was sold to John G. Stokes of New York.
The Nevada Company bought up property in 1898 including the Knickerbocker and Pioner mills new Ione, Nevada. All of the machinery was then moved up to Berlin where it was used to build a thirty stamp mill and production was started.
The town of Berlin Nevada continued to prosper and grow and supported some 250 citizens who benefited from a store, post office, schoolhouse, auto shop and stage lines to nearby settlements.
Following many other towns, Berlin Nevada says its production falter during the panic of 1907, which was caused by the San Francisco Earthquake of the prior year. At its height, the towns 75 buildings housed some 300 people. Ore yields continued to fall and the mills were shutdown despite a report from a Goldfield newspaper from the previous year which stated that ore was available for at least three more years.
Perhaps not wanting to read the writing on the wall, between 1911 and 1914 develop of a fifty ton cyanide plant was completed and continued to work the tailings of Berlin. However, this late effort only recovered about $2.50 per ton. The Berlin Mine boasted over three miles of tunnels, but the mine failed to produce at just under $1 million in silver and gold.
During World War II, the large mill was dismantled of its machinery. Today, the town is part of a state park and several structures are preserved including a machine shop, assay office and mine supervisors house. The 30 stamp mill is preserved and stabilized and is one of the best in the state.
Berlin Town Summary
|Location||Nye County, Nevada|
|Latitude, Longitude||38.8818713, -117.6076020|
|Elevation||2059 meters / 6756 feet|