Delamar NSHM is Nevada State Historical Marker number ninety seven and is located in Lincoln County, Nevada. Nicknamed “The Widowmaker”, Delamar, Nevada is a ghost town and gold mining town in Monkeywrench Wash, Lincoln County, Nevada. Prospectors and Farmers from Pahranagat, John Fergusen and Joseph Sharp officially discovered gold in 1889 around Monkeywrench Wash. This event lead to the founding of the Fergusen Mining District and a camp of that name was established. Initial assays ranged from $75 to $1000 per ton of gold ore. This was more than enough to attract the attention of investors.
Nevada State Historical Markers identify significant places of interest in Nevada’s history. The Nevada State Legislature started the program in 1967 to bring the state’s heritage to the public’s attention with on-site markers. Budget cuts to the program caused the program to become dormant in 2009. Many of the markers are lost of damaged.
Gold was discovered here in 1889. This isolated, treeless metropolis of over 1,500 residents, had a newspaper, hospital, school, churches, saloons and a stockbroker. Entertainment included brass bands, dance orchestras and stage attractions at the Opera House.
Water came from Meadow Valley Wash, 12 miles away. All other materials were hauled through the mountains by mule team 150 miles from a railroad head at Milford, Utah. For 16 years, most of the bullion was hauled out in the same manner.
The dry milling processes used prior to the introduction of wet methods created a fine silicon or “death” dust which caused the deaths of many residents and gave the town its nickname.
Delamar produced $15,000,000 in gold and was Nevada’s leading producer of that decade.NEVADA HISTORIC MARKER #90
Delamar NSHM Map
Delamar NSHM Summary
|Nevada State Historic Marker
|Delamar “The Widow Maker”, Nevada
|Lincoln County, Nevada