One of the lesser known yet longest running gold mining camps is Pine Grove, Nevada. Located in Lyon County, Nevada just East of the 338 highway .Pine Grove was founded in 1866 when gold was discovered by William Wilson and he founded the Wheeler Mine the following year. Within a year the town grew to about 300 people and the site was named Pine Grove Hills.
A post office was opened in 1868 in the small town along with a newspaper. A two stamp stamp mill was built to process the gold and silver ore.
The town of Pine Grove grew to 1000 people by the time the 1880s came around and the three mills processed $10,000 in gold bullion in a week. At its height, the town was spread out over a mile. The citizens enjoyed saloons, three hotels, stores, assorted businesses to support the mining effort. A dance hall was also built to keep everyone entertained.
The mining effort stalled in 1883 due to a depression in the United States. Work recovered, and the mines were again active from 1900 to 1910 with marginal results. Although there was some prospecting, mining ceased production for a final time in 1918.
The town continued to support a small population, however it finally expired in the 1930’s after over 50 years to activity.
Pine Grove Town Summary
|Lyon County, Nevada
|Sept 1868-Oct 1869
Nov 1869-Nov 1912
|The Pine Grove Chronicle ( 1872-1872 )