Castleton – Grand County Ghost Town

Grand County, Utah, Ghost towns
Grand County, Utah, Ghost towns

Castleton is a ghost town in Castle Valley, southeastern Grand County, Utah, located on the La Sal Mountain Loop Road roughly 18 miles (29 km) northeast of Moab. The nearest modern settlement is Castle Valley, about 6 miles (9.7 km) to the northwest. At an elevation of approximately 5,896 feet (1,797 m), it sits near the base of the La Sal Mountains.

Early Settlement and Foundations (1860s–1880s)

A short-lived gold placer mining camp existed in the area in the 1860s. More permanent settlement began in the late 1870s or early 1880s, commonly attributed to prospector Doby Brown. Other early accounts mention possible cabins of miners and stockmen as early as 1879, though a township survey map from late summer 1880 showed no structures at that time. By the mid-1880s, cabins belonging to miners and stockmen had appeared.

By 1882, enough settlers had gathered to establish a post office, marking the community’s formal beginnings as a modest ranching and prospecting outpost. Early residents included figures such as John (or “Jack”) Welsh (also spelled Welch), who later served as the first mail carrier, delivering mail once a week by horse and team.

Boom as a Mining Supply Town (1888–1907)

The town’s rapid growth began in 1888 with the discovery of gold in quartz veins at nearby Miners Basin (also called Miner’s Basin) high in the La Sal Mountains. Castleton transformed into a crucial supply and outfitting hub for prospectors and miners working the claims. Freight companies stayed busy hauling supplies, and the settlement expanded quickly.

At its peak around 1895, Castleton’s population exceeded that of nearby Moab (with estimates ranging from over 100 to a few hundred residents). When Grand County was organized in 1890, Castleton vied with Moab for the county seat (though some local research has questioned how seriously this was pursued). Businesses and amenities during the boom included:

  • A general store (one later associated with Charles Edward Miller around 1902)
  • Hotel(s) and a boardinghouse
  • Two saloons (including “Plug Hat” Kelly’s)
  • Restaurant
  • Livery stable and blacksmith shop
  • Post office
  • School (initially held in a saloon before 1904)
  • Sunday school (Christian Science, started in 1904 and taught by Mrs. Antles and Mrs. McClain)
  • Other services such as a deputy sheriff, and possible doctor’s and mine offices

Lots were set aside on the town plat for the La Sal Reduction Company’s mill site and a depot. Social life flourished with the arrival of wives and families; clubs, gatherings, and events were reported in the Grand Valley Times. The town also supported regional ranching (cattle and sheep operations). Imported sheepherders, often Mexican or Basque, used boarding facilities into the 1920s. Winter conditions sometimes forced miners and their mules down from the high country into Castleton.

On April 10, 1901, Seth A. McLean (or McClean) and Lincoln Antles delivered the town plat to a notary. The Grand County Board of Commissioners approved incorporation of the Town of Castleton on April 16, 1901; it was recorded that evening by County Clerk and Recorder Alonzo A. Neff. The plat showed Main Street (likely corresponding to present-day Castleton Road), with Oak and Cedar Streets alongside it, and shorter cross streets (First through Fourth). Lincoln Antles is often credited with laying out the town. A voting district was established in June 1902.

Decline and Abandonment (1907–1967)

The Panic of 1907 shut down the hard-rock mines in the La Sals, triggering a mass exodus of miners and the collapse of related businesses. By 1910, most commercial establishments had closed, leaving primarily the post office and a population of about 50. Ranching provided residual support, but this too waned. Population figures continued to fall: roughly 30 by some accounts in 1930, or as low as six according to others.

Later residents and property holders included J.E. Cooley (who sold a ranch in 1921 to Don and Max Taylor) and the Taylor family. Don Taylor sold property to the federal government (then the General Land Office, predecessor to the Bureau of Land Management) in 1945. Fires destroyed some homes; others fell into disrepair or were dismantled for materials elsewhere. A small cemetery (Castleton Cemetery) holds more than 20 graves, including those of early residents and children (examples from surveys include members of the Welsh/Welch, Mueller, Williams, Johnston, and other families).

In 1967, the Grand County Commission officially vacated Castleton as an occupied town, formalizing its status as a ghost town.

Remnants and Later History

Little remains of the historic townsite today. Notable among the ruins is the “Rock Castle,” a large sandstone ranch house (approximately 31½ × 32 feet, originally with walls about 12 feet high) dating to the 1880s. It has been heavily obscured by vegetation (sage, rabbitbrush, pinyon) and is difficult to access near Spring Creek. Archaeological assessments (including work associated with the BLM and researchers such as Richard Fike) have identified it and other remnants as potentially eligible for the National Register of Historic Places; stabilization efforts have been discussed to prevent further collapse. The site has been considered for interpretive use in connection with broader trail systems.

In 2001, the Grand County Commission proclaimed the 100th anniversary of the town’s incorporation, and local residents (including former residents Jim and Rusty Salmon, who rediscovered the original plat in county records) organized a celebration. As of the mid-2020s, a small number of modern residences exist in or near the former township boundaries (estimates of full-time residents have ranged from under 15 to roughly a dozen), but the historic mining-and-ranching community is long gone. The area is managed in part by the Bureau of Land Management.

Castleton’s history reflects the classic boom-and-bust pattern of many Utah mining supply towns: brief prosperity tied to mineral discoveries in the surrounding mountains, followed by rapid decline when the ore played out or economic conditions changed, leaving ranching as a temporary residual economy before near-total abandonment. Primary historical sources include local newspapers (Grand Valley Times), county records, and works such as George A. Thompson’s Some Dreams Die: Utah’s Ghost Towns and Lost Treasures, Richard A. Firmage’s A History of Grand County, and Stephen L. Carr’s The Historical Guide to Utah Ghost Towns.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.