Diamond Valley Nevada is Nevada State Historical Marker number eighty two and is located in Eureka County, Nevada. The location is a valley basin between the Sulphur Spring Range and the Diamond Mountains of Central Nevada.
The valley is almost entirely within Eureka County, but the northern end crosses into Elko County. The valley is up to 12 miles (19 km) wide and over 45 miles (72 km) long.
The town of Eureka lies at the southern end of Diamond Valley, while the northern end is home to an alkali flat. Several small lakes are located in the western part of the valley near Sadler Brown Road. Eureka Airport is also located towards the southern end of the valley.
Nevada State Historical Markers identify significant places of interest in Nevada’s history. The Nevada State Legislature started the program in 1967 to bring the state’s heritage to the public’s attention with on-site markers. Budget cuts the program became dormant in 2009.
The first known explorer of Diamond Valley was Captain John C. Frémont who mapped the area to aid western migration in 1845. Before Frémont, Shoshone and Paiute Indians had gathered nature’s bounty here.
Colonel J.H. Simpson mapped a route through the valley in 1859. The Simpson route, through the north end of the valley, immediately became the Pony Express route from 1860-1861. The Overland Telegraph replaced the Pony Express and also crossed the valley.
Early freight toll roads were operated across the valley as lead and silver mining camps boomed in the 1860s. Needs of the mining camps gave rise to a limited livestock and dairy industry. In 1957, a large underground lake was tapped to supply water for irrigation.STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 82 – STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE – EUREKA COUNTY COMMISSION
Nevada State Historic Marker Map
Nevada Historic Marker Summary
|Latitude, Longitude||39.7402, -116.0748|