Goodsprings NSHM 20 is Nevada State Historical Marker number one hundred and two and is located in Clark County, Nevada.
Nevada State Historical Markers identify significant places of interest in Nevada’s history. The Nevada State Legislature started the program in 1967 to bring the state’s heritage to the public’s attention with on-site markers. Budget cuts to the program caused the program to become dormant in 2009. Many of the markers are lost of damaged.
Ore deposits readily recognized in the faulted and folded limestone deposits of this district remained unworked until 1856, when the Mormons developed a single lead mine at Potosi–probably the oldest lode mine in Nevada.
Named for cattleman Joseph Good, the open springs area was developed into the mining-ranching community of Goodsprings by A.G. Campbell.
With completion of the Los Angeles-Salt Lake Railroad in 1905 and the narrow-gauge Yellow Pine Railroad from Jean to Goodsprings in 1911, transportation costs of the oxidized zinc minerals were reduced. The peak year of operations was reached in 1916, and Goodsprings then had 800 residents.
This district, with the greatest variety of valuable minerals in Nevada, produced a total of $25 million primarily in lead and zinc, with lesser amounts of gold, silver, copper, molybdenum, vanadium, nickel, cobalt, platinum, palladium and uranium.Nevada Historic Marker #102
” width=”100%” height=”600″ file_list=”https://www.destination4x4.com/wp-content/uploads/NSHM-102-Goodsprings.kml” type=”OpenTopoMap” file_color_list=”#000000″ control=”fullscreen,scaleline,mouseposition” file_title=”Goodsprings NSHM Nevada”]
Goodprings NSHM Summary
|Location||Nye County, Nevada|