Dun Glen Nevada later known as Chafey Nevada is a ghost town and mine site located in Pershing County, Nevada. The mine started its operation in 1862, when silver was discovered. Once of its earliest settlers was Angus Dun, for whom the early camp was named. A commercial district was started in 1863 and with a population of 250 people was the second largest district in Northern Nevada at the time. Early on, there were some “troubles” with the local Native American Piute Tribe who did not appreciated this new settlement and operation.
To protect the fledgling camp, in 1863 a company of United States were garrisoned for protection of mining operations. Camp Dun Glen offered protection from the “Snake Indians” during the “Snake War”. This presence must have been short lived, by 1866 the 12 lb cannon was moved to another post.
The town could support miners and three stamp mills, however, the town and mines languished by the 1880s. The Chinese conducted placer mining operations in near by canyons during this time. The Dun Glen Post Office was opened on July 18, 1865 and served the population until April 7, 1894.
The local mines saw renewed interest starting again in 1908 when E.S. Chafey opened a mining operation. The new town of Chafey supports 1000 people. Saloons and stores sprang up on the old townsite of Dun Glen. Stages operated between Chafey and Mill City four time per day. The Chafey post office operated from August 4, 1908 to March 4, 1911.