Miner’s Basin, Grand County Ghost Town

Grand County, Utah, Ghost towns
Grand County, Utah, Ghost towns

Miners Basin (also known as Miner’s Basin or simply Basin) is a ghost town in Grand County, Utah, high in the La Sal Mountains on the northern end of the range, above Pinhook Draw and the upper reaches of Castle Valley, near Mt. Waas. It sits at roughly 9,300–10,000+ feet elevation in a remote alpine basin of meadows, timber, streams, and harsh winters. Coordinates are approximately 38°32′32″N 109°16′33″W.

The town was short-lived, primarily inhabited from the late 1890s to about 1908, with a peak population of roughly 75–80 people. It is a classic Western mining boom-and-bust site tied to modest gold, copper, and silver discoveries. Much of the roughly 700-acre area is private property today; remnants of log cabins, mine workings, and equipment remain and can be reached via hiking trails (notably the Miner’s Basin to Warner Lake Trail) off a rough 4WD road from the La Sal Mountain Loop Road.

Discovery and Early Prospecting (1888–1890s)

Prospectors, many spilling over from richer finds in Colorado’s San Juan Mountains, searched the La Sals for the next big strike after the California Gold Rush era. In 1888, gold-bearing gravel and ore were found on the flanks of Mt. Waas and Green Mountain. A key early deposit between Bachelor Basin and Miners Basin was known as the “High Ore Claim.” Copper was also noted around this time.

Early prospectors included Matt and John Martin, Joseph Burkholder, a Mr. Malloy, and Guss Manville; they did not stay long. The first miners to locate more permanently included Edd Bee Bush, Harry Turner, Murner Fowler, George Hepburn, and William Price. Others, such as Pappy Loutsenhizer (“Pappy Lout”) and Sam McGrew, arrived from Montrose, Colorado, via Castle Valley.

Prospecting remained limited until 1896 (the year of Utah statehood), when the Tornado deposit was discovered in the basin. Activity increased, and the Miners Basin Mining District was formally organized around 1897–1898. The ore was generally low-grade; much of the work was “development work” rather than high-volume production. Minerals associated with the district include gold, copper (chalcopyrite, bornite, azurite), silver, and others in veins and related deposits linked to the area’s laccolithic geology (alkaline igneous intrusions).

Founding and Peak Years (1898–1905)

In 1898 the mining district and operators established a company-style town to house workers close to the claims. About 20 cabins were built that year. Families and individuals who settled included Byron Davis, Sam McCormic, Guss Schmelzer, a Mr. Lotzhauzer and his daughter May, Giddon (Gid) Propper, Clark Akers, the Dillon brothers, Fred McCoy, and others.

At its height (roughly 1896–1905, peaking around 1899), the community had about 75–80 residents. A July 21, 1899, report in the Grand Valley Times noted “12 ladies in camp and 55 men at work prospecting.” Amenities and businesses included:

  • Two saloons (one run by the blind Sam McGrew, who could detect short-changing by feel)
  • A hotel/boarding house (associated with the Fay family; dances were held there)
  • A blacksmith shop
  • A post office (Mrs. Sam McGrew was an early postmaster; earlier informal mail was carried from Castleton by Tom Parriott and distributed by locals such as Gid Propper and May Lotzhauzer; a formal route and contract came later, e.g., with Fletcher Hammond in 1904)
  • Store, restaurants/eating houses (Lucy Burr was noted in connection with one in 1906)
  • Stamp mill (operated by Bob Thomson for crushing ore; ore was packed by burro or later sledded by Henry and Ed Wolf)

Life was informal and rugged. Mining was seasonal—deep snow and extreme cold forced most residents to lower elevations or wage work elsewhere in winter; they returned in summer with grubstakes. Social events included dances (Mart Fish on banjo, Pappy Davis on violin, step-dancing by locals). One Fourth of July gathering of visitors from Moab and Castleton turned unexpectedly snowy. Mining dangers claimed lives: a man was killed by falling rock in the High Ore Mine in 1898, and Fred McCoy died from a missed dynamite shot. Harry Turner and Ed Bee Bush drove a tunnel that hit water and later froze solid, becoming known as the “ice tunnel”; Mesa ranchers later used it for ice.

Nearby Castleton (down the mountain) served as a supply center and also rose and fell with the basin mines. The district produced limited gold, copper, and silver; none of the individual mines were major producers by regional standards.

Decline and Abandonment (1906–1908 and After)

Ore deposits proved limited and low-grade. Activity faded by about 1907 amid exhaustion of accessible ore and the nationwide financial panic of 1907. Most residents left for other towns or mining opportunities. By 1908 only six or seven families remained. The formal town effectively ended as a community.

A few diehards and seasonal users lingered. Sheepherders, cowboys, ranchers, and occasional hunters (including Native Americans) passed through. Gordon Fowler prospected and developed claims starting in 1929; in 1946 he put a crew to work and helped build a road with county aid. He spent the rest of his life there. Later, Cyprus Mines (or Cypress) prospected and mined for three summers before canceling a lease in 1971. William Conner and his wife maintained assessment work and care of property in summers for years, living in an 1898 cabin that has been continuously occupied (with repairs) for decades. Occasional winter residents and geologists also visited. Exploration for deeper porphyry copper or molybdenum targets occurred in later decades but did not lead to major new production.

Present Day

Miners Basin is a quiet ghost town site within the Manti-La Sal National Forest vicinity. Weathered log cabins, mine entrances, rusted equipment, and other remnants are visible. A small pond and trailhead facilities exist at the end of the rough Miner’s Basin Road (Forest Road 0065; high-clearance 4WD recommended). Trails connect toward Warner Lake, Gold Knob, Bachelor Basin, and other points; the area is scenic alpine country with bears and other wildlife present. Access is seasonal due to snow. Much of the historic core remains on private land, so visitors should respect property boundaries and leave artifacts in place.

The site illustrates the typical pattern of late-19th/early-20th-century Western hard-rock mining camps: optimistic rushes based on modest discoveries, brief community life at high elevation under difficult conditions, and rapid abandonment when ores played out and capital or markets failed. Primary sources for its history include local accounts preserved by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers (Grand Memories), period newspapers such as the Grand Valley Times, Stephen L. Carr’s The Historical Guide to Utah Ghost Towns, Moab Museum materials, and articles in Canyon Legacy (including Sena Hauer’s 2004 piece).

Sources drawn from: Wikipedia summary of Miners Basin; Moab Sun News historical features (2021, 2023); Moab Happenings archives; Daughters of Utah Pioneers material reprinted in local papers; U.S. Forest Service trail and site descriptions; Mindat and mining-district geological notes; and related Grand County history references.

Northrop – Washington County Ghost Town

Washington County, Utah, Ghost Towns
Washington County, Utah, Ghost Towns

Northrop (sometimes spelled Northrup), Utah, was a short-lived Mormon pioneer settlement in Washington County that existed primarily from late 1861 into the mid-1860s. It is now a ghost town with no remaining structures.

Background: The Cotton Mission and Utah’s Dixie

In 1861, amid the American Civil War (which disrupted Southern cotton supplies), Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints leaders under Brigham Young launched the Cotton Mission. The goal was self-sufficiency by growing cotton and other warm-climate crops in southern Utah’s milder climate, an area known as “Utah’s Dixie.” Hundreds of families (accounts cite roughly 300) were called south that fall under apostles such as George A. Smith, Erastus Snow, and Orson Pratt. Settlements sprang up along the Virgin River and its tributaries.

Isaac Behunin (1803–1881), a New York-born pioneer, early Church member, Nauvoo veteran, bodyguard to Joseph Smith at times, and participant in the Walker War, was among those called. He had previously settled in areas including Sanpete County (he was among the first settlers of Ephraim). In December 1861, Behunin arrived at the confluence of the North Fork and East Fork of the Virgin River with his second wife, Elmina Tyler Behunin, and several of their children. He was joined by a small number of other settlers, including accounts naming James Lemon and Joseph Black. The site was chosen for its irrigation potential and agricultural promise.

Establishment and Early Life

Northrop was a modest outpost rather than a large planned town. Settlers lived initially in covered wagons and makeshift shelters while beginning irrigation ditches and preparing land for crops (cotton was the mission priority, alongside food crops). They coexisted peacefully with a nearby clan of Southern Paiute people referred to as the Perrusit Indians, learning basic communication and local knowledge from them. Permanent buildings were never fully established. Population estimates for the brief peak are low—likely a few families (one later census reference notes three families totaling 17 people by around 1864); broader claims of hundreds appear to conflate the overall Cotton Mission scale with this specific site.

The location (approximately 37°09′45″N 113°00′45″W) sat on the east side of the Virgin River, east of the later Grafton site, in what is now the general vicinity associated with Zion National Park approaches and Springdale. The floodplain soils were fertile but highly vulnerable.

The Great Flood of 1862

Heavy rains began around Christmas Day 1861 and continued for roughly 40 days (some regional accounts note longer precipitation periods into early 1862). This formed part of the Great Flood of 1862, one of the most extensive recorded flood events in the Western United States, affecting areas from the Pacific Northwest through California and inland into Utah Territory. The Virgin River and its tributaries rose dramatically, becoming raging torrents that eroded soil, destroyed irrigation works, washed away farmland, and inundated settlements.

Northrop was essentially destroyed. The fertile topsoil critical for farming was washed away, and the site became untenable. Nearby settlements including early Grafton (then Wheeler), Adventure, Duncan’s Retreat, Fort Clara/Santa Clara, and others suffered severe damage or total destruction. Survivors from several of these places relocated to higher ground.

Relocation and Abandonment

In January 1862, Behunin and his family moved farther up Zion Creek Fork (also called North Fork in some references) to higher, safer ground. He became one of the earliest settlers of what developed into Springdale, building a home and farming there. In summer 1863, Behunin and his sons constructed a one-room log cabin deeper in what is now Zion Canyon (near the later site of Zion Lodge), cleared land, and planted crops including corn, tobacco, sugar cane, melons, and an orchard. They maintained a seasonal pattern between the canyon farm and Springdale. Behunin is traditionally credited with naming Zion Canyon, remarking on its grandeur as a place of worship comparable to any man-made church.

Some accounts indicate limited continued activity or presence at or near the Northrop site by other families into the mid-1860s. By the 1864 Washington County census, only a handful of families remained associated with it. Final abandonment came amid the Black Hawk War (mid-1860s) and related Navajo/Paiute tensions, plus Church directives ordering small outposts to consolidate into larger, more defensible communities (e.g., Rockville or Springdale) for mutual protection. The site was fully depopulated by around 1866–1867 and gradually absorbed into the Springdale area’s agricultural and administrative sphere.

Behunin later sold his Zion Canyon holdings (around 1872, reportedly for 200 bushels of corn) and moved to the Mount Carmel/Long Valley area. He died in 1881 (sources vary slightly on the exact May date) and was buried in the Mount Carmel Cemetery in Kane County.

Site Today and Legacy

Nothing physical remains of Northrop. The confluence area lies in a dynamic river environment within or adjacent to the broader Zion region; any traces were erased by the 1862 flood and subsequent river action. It is listed among Utah’s ghost towns and is noted in local histories such as the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers’ Under Dixie Sun and John W. Van Cott’s Utah Place Names.

Northrop’s story illustrates the extreme environmental challenges of early Mormon colonization in southern Utah—unpredictable flash floods on desert rivers, alkaline or unstable soils, isolation, and the need for constant adaptation. While the settlement itself vanished almost immediately, its settlers (especially Behunin) contributed directly to the founding and early development of Springdale and the human history of Zion Canyon, which later became a national park. The broader Cotton Mission helped establish lasting communities in Washington County even as many small riverside outposts failed.

Primary sources are limited due to the settlement’s brevity and the destruction of records/structures; modern accounts draw from pioneer histories, Church records, census data, and secondary compilations of southern Utah pioneer narratives.

Hebron – Washington County Ghost Town

Washington County, Utah, Ghost Towns
Washington County, Utah, Ghost Towns

Hebron is a ghost town in Washington County, southwestern Utah, located on Shoal Creek (at the junction of its south and west forks) about 6 miles west of the modern town of Enterprise, at an elevation of roughly 5,476 feet (1,669 meters). It was inhabited primarily from 1862 until about 1902–1905, when water shortages, economic shifts, and a major earthquake led to its abandonment. Most residents relocated to Enterprise. Today, little remains beyond the Hebron Cemetery and scattered rubble.

Founding and Early Settlement (1862–1868)

Hebron originated as part of the broader Latter-day Saint (LDS) “Dixie” or Cotton Mission efforts in southern Utah. In early 1862, brothers John, Charles, and William Pulsipher (along with David Chidester), tasked with herding livestock belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from the St. George area, explored northward toward Mountain Meadows and the lands south of the Escalante Desert. They found Shoal Creek promising due to abundant grass, mountain springs, and suitable grazing. Local Paiutes reportedly encouraged settlement.

The Pulsiphers brought their families that spring and established a ranching community initially known as Shoal Creek (named for the shallow, intermittent creek that sank into the sand in places). Their father, Zera (or Zerah) Pulsipher—a prominent early LDS leader—arrived in the fall of 1862 with additional family members and became the local presiding ecclesiastical officer. Other early arrivals included families such as the Hunts, Huntsmans, Leavitts, and others. The settlement was initially dispersed along the creek in ranch houses rather than a compact village, focused on cattle and dairying (early production included significant amounts of butter and cheese shared with livestock owners).

In 1866, during the Black Hawk War (a period of conflict between settlers and Native American groups, including Southern Paiutes and others), fears of attacks led to the construction of a small fort. Residents of the nearby Clover Valley settlement (across the border in present-day Nevada) evacuated and joined those at Shoal Creek, boosting the population. A schoolhouse followed in 1867.

In 1868, LDS Apostle Erastus Snow visited, organized a formal congregation (population then about 75), and directed the surveying of a proper townsite. John Pulsipher suggested the name “Hebron,” after the biblical city associated with Abraham (who tended flocks there). The name was accepted, and the site was dedicated. The community shifted from a scattered ranching outpost to a more structured town with streets and lots. The Hebron Ward of the Church was formally organized around 1868–1869 (sources vary slightly on the exact date; one notes November 1869 with George H. Crosby as bishop).

Growth and Daily Life (Late 1860s–1890s)

Hebron grew into a modest but functional pioneer community. Census figures show populations of 111 (1870), 110 (1880), 79 (1890), and about 100 (1900); peak estimates sometimes reach around 100. Residents built brick and rock homes, planted trees and gardens (including apple orchards that persisted into the 1930s), and established stores, a hotel, freight offices, and a telegraph office (by 1872). A mail route connected it to surrounding areas. The principal industries were ranching (cattle and dairy, supplying mines and other settlements) and limited agriculture. It served as a supply point for silver mining camps in eastern Nevada (especially Pioche) and later Silver Reef, Utah.

Life involved typical frontier hardships: droughts, floods, occasional tensions with Native groups, sickness, and isolation. The high elevation limited extensive farming, and water was chronically scarce—especially for gardens and crops—despite the ranching focus. Settlers built flumes, ditches, and canals, but these frequently failed due to weather (e.g., a wooden flume collapsed in wet conditions in 1885). Community efforts included attempts at cooperative economic systems (such as the United Order in the 1870s, which struggled). Key families included the Pulsiphers, Terrys (Thomas S. Terry later served as bishop), Huntsmans, and others who intermarried and formed the core of the settlement.

Decline and the Rise of Enterprise (1890s–1902)

Water remained the central challenge. By the mid-1880s, canals and flumes were failing. Orson Welcome Huntsman (a Hebron resident, former Clover Valley settler, and son-in-law of Bishop Thomas Terry) proposed a radical solution: damming waters (at the narrows of Little Pine Creek or related drainages on Shoal Creek) to create a reservoir that could irrigate the broader Escalante Desert flats downstream, enabling larger-scale farming at a new site.

In 1891, Huntsman surveyed a 320-acre townsite and filed a desert land claim, naming it Enterprise. He spent years recruiting investors and support from surrounding communities despite strong local opposition in Hebron (including from church leaders and family). Formal work on the Enterprise Reservoir and Canal Company began around 1893; the project ultimately took about 16 years to complete (dam finished around 1909). Hebron leaders responded by improving their own water systems, but families gradually began relocating to the better farming prospects at Enterprise.

Destruction and Abandonment (1902–1905)

On November 17, 1902, a strong earthquake (estimated magnitude ~6 or higher, intensity VIII on the Modified Mercalli scale), centered near Pine Valley, severely damaged Hebron. Most rock and brick homes were irreparably ruined; chimneys collapsed, and residents temporarily sheltered in the tithing granary or sturdier structures. Aftershocks continued for weeks. This event accelerated the exodus.

Residents met in early 1903 to discuss relocation. Church leaders supported the move. People sold water rights and stock to the Enterprise Reservoir Company (final sales around 1904). Damaged buildings were dismantled for materials, leaving mostly rubble. A deep wash later cut through the former main street. On October 19, 1905, the Hebron Ward was renamed the Enterprise Ward at a conference, marking the formal end of the community. The church bell was moved to Enterprise. Some accounts mention residual effects or later tremors (including possible impacts felt from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake), but the 1902 event was decisive.

Legacy and Present Day

Hebron’s residents and descendants largely founded and populated Enterprise, which grew into a successful agricultural community sustained by the reservoir system that still provides water today. The ghost town site itself has few visible remains beyond foundations, brick fragments, and the Hebron Cemetery (which has been maintained and restored over the years by descendants and groups such as Boy Scouts; it contains graves of pioneers from the settlement period). The surrounding area is largely private or posted against trespassing, though the cemetery is accessible. Historical markers at the cemetery and in Enterprise commemorate the settlement’s history.

Hebron exemplifies the challenges of 19th-century Mormon pioneer colonization in Utah’s arid Dixie region: the interplay of religious mission, ranching and limited farming, water scarcity, natural disasters, and eventual adaptation through relocation and engineering. Primary sources include diaries (such as those of John Pulsipher and Orson Huntsman), church records, and later historical analyses (notably works by W. Paul Reeve).

Arthur Powell Davis

Arthur Powell Davis (February 9, 1861 – August 7, 1933)
Arthur Powell Davis (February 9, 1861 – August 7, 1933)

Arthur Powell Davis (February 9, 1861 – August 7, 1933) was an American civil engineer, hydrographer, topographer, and geographer who played a pivotal role in the early 20th-century development of water resources in the American West. As Director of the U.S. Reclamation Service (predecessor to the Bureau of Reclamation) from 1914 to 1923, he was a leading architect of comprehensive federal plans to control and develop the Colorado River. He is widely regarded as a key conceptual founder of the Boulder Canyon Project (which produced Hoover Dam) and broader multipurpose river-basin development.

Early Life and Education

Davis was born on a farm near Decatur, Illinois, the nephew of the famed explorer and geologist John Wesley Powell (leader of the 1869 Colorado River expedition through the Grand Canyon). His family connections and early exposure to the West shaped his career. He attended local schools and Kansas State Normal School before earning a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering from Columbian University (now George Washington University) in Washington, D.C., in 1888.

He married Elizabeth (Preston/Brown) Davis in 1888; they had several daughters. He co-founded the National Geographic Society in 1888 and later held leadership roles in engineering societies. He was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1921) and the American Philosophical Society (1927).

Early Career with the U.S. Geological Survey

Through his uncle’s influence, Davis joined the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) as an assistant topographer around 1882–1884. He worked extensively in the Rocky Mountain region and the Southwest (New Mexico, Arizona, and California), gaining firsthand knowledge of arid lands and the Colorado River Basin. He advanced to topographer and, by 1895, to hydrographer in charge of government stream measurements.

His early international work included hydrographic examinations of potential Nicaragua and Panama Canal routes (late 1890s–early 1900s). He later consulted on irrigation and flood control in Puerto Rico, China, Turkestan (under both Tsarist and Soviet governments), and other regions, and contributed to Panama Canal studies.

Leadership in the Reclamation Service

Davis joined the newly created Reclamation Service (established under the 1902 Reclamation Act) early in its history. He rose to Chief Engineer around 1906–1908 and was appointed Director on December 10, 1914, succeeding Frederick Haynes Newell. He held the post until the agency’s name changed to the Bureau of Reclamation on June 18, 1923; he retired the next day.

Under his leadership the Service built major irrigation and storage works, including the Roosevelt Dam (Salt River), Shoshone and Arrowrock dams (each the world’s tallest at the time of completion), Elephant Butte Dam (Rio Grande), the Gunnison Tunnel, and the Strawberry Tunnel. He was among the first to strongly advocate multipurpose dams in which hydroelectric power generation would help amortize overall project costs—a principle that became central to later federal water development.

Role in Controlling and Developing the Colorado River

Davis’s most enduring contribution was his long-term vision for the Colorado River. Influenced by his uncle’s explorations and his own surveys, he recognized the river’s interstate and international character (flowing through seven U.S. states and into Mexico) and argued that only the federal government could coordinate its development at the necessary scale.

As early as 1902 he publicly called for the “gradual comprehensive development of the Colorado River by a series of large storage reservoirs,” with a high dam on the lower river as the keystone. He promoted basin-wide planning for flood control, irrigation storage, domestic water supply, and power generation rather than fragmented local projects.

In 1922, during his directorship, the Reclamation Service produced the influential report Problems of Imperial Valley and Vicinity (Senate Document 142, 67th Congress), commonly known as the Fall-Davis Report (after Interior Secretary Albert B. Fall and Davis). It examined reservoir sites, justified a high dam in the Boulder Canyon area, analyzed water supply and needs, and provided foundational data used by the Colorado River Compact Commission. The report and Davis’s advocacy helped frame the river’s problems as national in scope and laid groundwork for the Boulder Canyon Project Act and construction of Hoover (originally Boulder) Dam. Contemporaries, including engineers involved in the project, later called him the “father of the Boulder Canyon Project.”

Davis opposed purely local or piecemeal schemes (such as an early standalone All-American Canal proposal) when they conflicted with a coordinated multipurpose federal plan. His emphasis on power revenues to support large storage dams helped make ambitious Colorado River projects financially and politically viable. Shortly before his death he was appointed consulting engineer on the Boulder Dam project. Davis Dam (completed later on the lower Colorado, downstream from Hoover Dam) was named in his honor.

Later Years and Legacy

After leaving the Reclamation Service, Davis served as chief engineer and general manager of the East Bay Municipal Utility District in the Oakland, California, area (roughly 1923–1930). He also worked as a consulting engineer on irrigation projects in the Soviet Union (Turkestan and Transcaucasia) in the early 1930s.

He died in Oakland on August 7, 1933, at age 72 and was buried in Rock Creek Cemetery in Washington, D.C., alongside his wife.

Davis combined technical expertise, bureaucratic skill, and a progressive-era faith in expert-led federal action and efficiency. While he did not live to see Hoover Dam completed, his early vision, surveys, advocacy for multipurpose development, and the Fall-Davis Report were instrumental in transforming the Colorado River from an uncontrolled, flood-prone waterway into a managed system of storage, power, and irrigation infrastructure that shaped the modern American Southwest.

Sego – Grand County Ghost Town

Sego, Utah, is a ghost town in Grand County, nestled in the narrow, winding Sego Canyon within the Book Cliffs, about 5 miles (8 km) north of Thompson Springs. It was an important eastern Utah coal mining community from roughly 1910 to 1955. Much of the historic area was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 13, 2017, as the Ballard-Sego Coal Mine Historic District.

Chesterfield Coal Company in Sego, circa 1926.  Photo USGS
Chesterfield Coal Company in Sego, circa 1926. Photo USGS

Prehistoric and Indigenous History

Human presence in Sego Canyon stretches back thousands of years. The canyon walls feature significant rock art from multiple cultures. Barrier Canyon-style pictographs (Archaic period, roughly 7000–1000 BCE or associated with around 2000 BCE) include distinctive life-size, mummy-like anthropomorphic figures. Fremont culture rock art (ca. AD 600–1250) appears alongside later Ute petroglyphs and pictographs (from around AD 1300 onward). These panels, located a few miles north of Thompson Springs along Sego Canyon Road, document continuous or intermittent Indigenous use of the area long before Euro-American settlement.

Discovery and Early Mining (Late 19th–Early 20th Century)

Euro-American activity began with ranching and livestock in the Thompson Springs area. Harry (or Henry) G. Ballard, an English immigrant and one of the founders of Thompson Springs, discovered an exposed vein of high-quality anthracite coal while exploring the Book Cliffs canyons around 1908 (some accounts place the initial find earlier, in the 1890s). He quietly acquired the land, opened a small wagon-mine operation, and sold coal locally to residents who hauled it by wagon from as far as Monticello. The modest coal camp that developed was named Ballard.

In 1910–1911, Ballard sold the property to Salt Lake City businessman B.F. Bauer (associated with Salt Lake Hardware). Bauer organized the American Fuel Company (sometimes referenced in connection with related entities) with ambitious plans, selling substantial stock. The company expanded operations dramatically, installing a modern coal tipple and what was claimed as the first coal washer west of the Mississippi River.

Development as a Company Town and Railroad

The Ballard & Thompson Railroad was incorporated on July 15, 1911, to build a roughly 5.25-mile spur from the Denver & Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) main line at Thompson Springs up the canyon to the mine. The line crossed the stream 13 times, featured a maximum grade of about 4%, and used a mix of lighter and 65-pound rail. Construction finished in late 1912; coal shipments began that October, primarily supplying the D&RGW. The railroad later became a D&RGW subsidiary (1913) and was maintained under various agreements. At peak production (roughly 1920–1947), the mine yielded around 800 tons of coal per day, with the railroad making as many as eight or nine round trips per month in winter.

The town was renamed Neslen (or Neslin/Nelson in some accounts) after general manager Richard “Dick” Neslen during railroad construction. A post office opened, and company infrastructure grew: a large company store (stone-built by Italian masons in some descriptions), boarding house, mining buildings, and housing. Miners were allowed an unusual degree of freedom to build their own cabins and dugouts wherever they chose, resulting in scattered shacks throughout the canyon. Separate residential areas developed for different ethnic groups, reflecting the diverse workforce—Americans of English and Scandinavian descent alongside Italian, Greek, African American, and Japanese miners.

In 1916–1918, amid financial struggles, Bauer reorganized the company (Neslen was replaced). It became the Chesterfield Coal Company, and the town was renamed Sego in 1918 after the sego lily (Calochortus nuttallii), Utah’s state flower, which grew abundantly in the canyon (one account links the name also to a brand of condensed milk stocked at the company store).

Challenges, Peak Years, and Daily Life

Chronic problems plagued Sego from the start. The water table dropped, springs and creeks diminished, and the coal washer sometimes could not operate. Paradoxically, flash floods frequently damaged the railroad trestles and bridges, keeping the train off the tracks for significant periods. Pay was irregular; miners were often paid in company scrip redeemable only at the high-priced company store (shopping in cheaper Thompson risked job loss). A strike occurred in April 1915 after five months without pay. Wages were later cut. Regular pay arrived only after miners joined the United Mine Workers in 1933.

Despite these issues, Sego was one of Grand County’s larger communities. U.S. Census figures show 198 residents in 1920, 223 in 1930, 123 in 1940, and 70 in 1950. Contemporary accounts sometimes claimed a peak population near 500 (including surrounding canyons) and around 125 miners at height; by May 1928 it was described as Utah’s busiest coal camp, with reports of high daily output. The town had a school, doctor, deputy sheriff at times, and a colorful social mix that included bootlegging during Prohibition. Families maintained gardens, orchards, vineyards, and traditions from their homelands.

Electric power was eventually extended from distant sources in the 1920s at significant cost. The coal was considered serviceable but inferior to some Carbon County coals; a large share went to the D&RGW for locomotives.

Decline and Abandonment

Post-World War II, production costs exceeded income. The Chesterfield mine closed on November 1, 1947. The remaining miners (down to about 27) pooled resources, secured bank backing, and bought the assets at a sheriff’s auction in Moab for around $30,000. They formed the employee-owned Utah Grand Coal Company (Walter Ronzio as general manager) and operated successfully at first.

Fires destroyed the tipple in 1949 and caused further damage in 1950. The railroad abandoned the branch around 1950 due to insufficient traffic and deterioration; operators switched to trucking coal to a loading ramp in Thompson. The final blow was the D&RGW’s conversion from coal-fired steam locomotives to diesel, which eliminated the primary market. In 1955, Utah Grand sold its holdings for $25,000 to a Texas company interested in oil and gas potential on the roughly 700 acres rather than the coal. Buildings were relocated to Thompson Springs, Moab, and even Fruita, Colorado (including the schoolhouse). Flash floods in the 1950s further damaged remaining structures. Sego was abandoned.

Present Day

Today, Sego is a classic ghost town accessible via the old railroad grade (high-clearance or 4WD vehicle recommended; flash-flood risk is high). Surviving features include the substantial stone walls of the company store, foundations, dugouts, scattered cabin remnants, mine openings, and a few railroad trestles (many unsafe). An underground coal-seam fire has burned for decades, with smoke sometimes visible from shafts. The boarding house collapsed between late 2009 and early 2010. A cemetery lies nearby. Vandalism (notably in 1973 by treasure hunters who set fires) and natural forces have reduced what remained after abandonment.

Visitors should respect private property and fragile historic and cultural resources, including the rock art panels lower in the canyon. The site offers a tangible record of early-20th-century coal mining, multi-ethnic labor history, company-town life, and the boom-and-bust cycles of the rural West, set against a landscape of deep Indigenous history.