The Ubehebe Lead Mine is located just west of the Racetrack Playa Road off of the Bonnie Claire Road. Discovered in 1906, the mine is located on the west side of the Racetrack valley just south of Teakettle junction. The site was started as a copper mine and during to coarse of its operation would produce lead, copper, gold and zinc.
In February, 1908 a large eight foot thick vein of lead ore which was perceived to run through the mountain changed the mines name and destiny. In order to prepare, the site hauled in 26,000 lbs of provisions to feed and supply a crew of eight men for the duration of the summer. When processed the order produced significantly lower than expected. The lack of water, remote location and less than desirable returns caused production to be sporadic.
The site currently has a main adit which is blocked off about 10 feet inside of the entrance. Several other adits are located up the hillside and all are blocked to entry at this time. There are a few collapsed buildings of light construction that have given their all against the harsh environment and several foundations are also evident. An aerial tramway was built to the northern works and a single tramway cable is still suspended and connected to tramway on the ridge above.
The entire area has undergone extensive washing: bits of rail and pipe sections lie about near the mine, as do crockery fragments, pieces of glass, and tin cans that have worked down from the camp site. The several dumps nearby contain nothing of historical significance.
Ubehebe Mine Trail Map
Death Valley Campgrounds